For those that had PRP after surgery, at what level did you inject it?

I had surgery a few months ago and it was recommended to me to inject PRP after surgery on a schedule of 1 month before, 1 month after then at 3, 6, 9 and 12 months. One question I had for those of you that have done this is where exactly did you have your PRP injected?

These are my pics immediately post op and now, a few months later:

PRPinjectionlevelsnomarkup.thumb.jpg.41457f2ebbb7e3300bb2df2f3239cf5d.jpg

I think I'll go in for PRP soon but am not sure which level to inject at. If I go directly into the operative bed (circled in yellow), I'm worried about possible damaging the follicles. So I'm thinking perhaps injecting above and letting the fluid diffuse down, though concentration will be lost in diffusion and distribution of PRP won't be as even.

PRPinjectionlevels.thumb.jpg.973270159f33be61f4dcaa444e4e0c8a.jpg

I asked Dr. Couto his thoughts about this but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

There's a clinic I came across that also ties a rubber band around the patients forehead for a short period after the injection, apparently to keep the PRP in the region near the follicles. They also use an extracellular matrix to gunk up the area (Acell, or dried pig bladder basically) to keep the PRP around. A red flag with this clinic was they also used stem cell therapy for an added fee which, as far as the research I've read, would have no reasonable mechanism of effect. Why would a foreign stem cell just decide to become a hair follicle after being injected? Also regarding the acell, I'm not sure I want to add a foreign protein to my scalp at a time when blood supply is so delicate.

Some people have talked about platelet reduced fibrin as a natural matrix that may have more effect, but there's not even research on PRP in the post-op setting. I think good data on PRF is decades away, which is not a relevant time frame for me.

Basically there are a lot of new things being tried but not much in the way of formalized research. So that means I'm left with just asking around and seeing what's worked for you guys. Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Edited by consequence

Thanks for your comment.

I got a response from Dr. Couto and he basically said not to start PRP mid way through recovery because it interferes with the natural growth cycle and could delay my results. If I had started it from the beginning it would have been okay, but not mid way through. 

I actually did have PRP above the surgical bed at my vertex 1 month before and 1 month after, but I never had the guts to inject it directly into where the hair was transplanted. I think *maybe* the injector might have gone a little into the transplant bed on the right but who the frick knows.

In any case, I'm not going to second guess the Lionel Messi of FUE -- just going to just take his advice, stay healthy and pray to the Hair Gods.

Edited by consequence

• Valued Contributor

@consequence

Prp has shown varying results ...dr couto is right that it will affect the natural haur cycle ...this can also trigger a shedding phase and hence the outcome can get delayed 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023