Recovery from FUE

Hello.  I am 54 years old and I have had 3 FUT surgeries in the past.  I am looking to do another surgery using FUE in Mexico (close since I am in Arizona).  I have a few places/doctors in mind.  Here are some questions if anyone can help me:

1. So far, I like HMR as an option.  Any other great options for Mexico?  I emailed Dr. Nader but no answer yet.  I also have been talking to Capilclinic and DHI in Tijuana and Mexico City.

2. I have a few weeks off around Christmas or I can wait until the following May.  I am concerned about how I will look after the procedure.  Do I need to shave my head?  I am a teacher and I don't want to look funny in front of my students when I return from the holidays after a surgery.  I have heard that some places only cut the sides and back to a "1" and leave the hair on top???  If I am off for about 18 days would that be enough to look completely normal?  

3. I am attaching some photos.  I don't know if I will have enough donor hair due to the 3 FUT surgeries.  I am getting SMP done for my scar to cover that up a little bit.  

Thank you for any advice.

Jim

Hair Back.jpg

Hair Left side.jpg

Hair middle.jpg

Hair right side.jpg

Hair scar.jpg

Hair top front.jpg

Hair top.jpg

Recovery from FUE is a breeze compared to FUT. In my opinion, it would look best if you simply buzzed everything down to the same length. By 18 days most people would look normal and as if they had their head buzzed. Some people can have some redness to the area that was transplanted.

The one thing unique for you is that the FUT scars will be visible. So people may ask about that. But there is no way to hide that unless you do no-shave FUE, which I would not recommend for such a large case. By 18 days, your donor area hair will NOT be long enough to hide the FUT scar. So maybe it is better to wait till summer break for someone in your profession. 

Here is a photo of a patient's recipient area about 12 days after the surgery.

12wkspostop.jpg

Edited by Bhumik Shah MD

Medical Director/ Hair Transplant Surgeon at BKS Hair Restoration.

NOTE: All posts are for educational purposes only. It is not intended as medical advice. Please direct all inquiries regarding specific health concerns to your physician. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve posted a lot of photos in the review forum for my FUE procedure that I had done recently if you want to check my username.  And I also have FUT scar and was full shaved for the FUE. You can see how it looks over 10 days each day and I’ll be taking my 14 day photos tomorrow.  There are clear photos of old scar also so you can see how it looks.  I do have light hair and skin tone though.