Massive shedding and bald spot after switching fin + dut to just dutasteride

I have a question for you all,

I have been on finasteride 1mg/daily for 5 years which had halted my balding, last year I switched to dutasteride .5mg two times a week and all the other days continued taking finasteride. This was amazing for my hair, had some new regrowth and significant thickening of my hair, i do remember having a very very minor shedding period for a week or two.

2 months ago I made the switch to just .5 mg of dutasteride a week and dropped finasteride altogether. it's completely ruined my hair, massive thinning and now a noticeable bald spot on my hairline. Should I wait this out and see if I see thickening and growth throughout the year or should I go back to my normal routine of fin + dut combo? I'm not sure what to do at this point

• Valued Contributor
22 minutes ago, Panda858 said:

I have a question for you all,

I have been on finasteride 1mg/daily for 5 years which had halted my balding, last year I switched to dutasteride .5mg two times a week and all the other days continued taking finasteride. This was amazing for my hair, had some new regrowth and significant thickening of my hair, i do remember having a very very minor shedding period for a week or two.

2 months ago I made the switch to just .5 mg of dutasteride a week and dropped finasteride altogether. it's completely ruined my hair, massive thinning and now a noticeable bald spot on my hairline. Should I wait this out and see if I see thickening and growth throughout the year or should I go back to my normal routine of fin + dut combo? I'm not sure what to do at this point

When you were geting such a good result that too without any sides than you should have not changed your regime...its already a win if we are able to stabilise our hairloss through meds but you got even more than just stabilisation which was a cherry on the cake...now whats done is done and imo you should stuck to the regime which worked for you...though am not a doctor so you may consult a good doctor for this who can help you out in a better way....and you dropped your finasteride and took 0.5mg dutasteride 2 times a week or started daily ? Cause from my knowledge if you are solely on dutasteride than the typical dosage is 0.5mg daily... 

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

why switch to 0.5 mg once a week. should have taken daily 0.5 mg ( that is the ideal dosage for dutasteride when not taking finasteride at all if it stops working for you).

if finasteride was working then, finasteride 6x and dutasteride 1x a week is the dosage you should have used when adding dutasteride. later if hair loss starts again then go finasteride 5x and dutasteride 2x a week until it works.

check if with your doctor on dosage again whichever route you want to take.

What made you switch your dosage?

Your original regime you were on a subtherapeutic dose of dutasteride but you covered this with daily finasteride. Then ad hoc you went to half the dose of dutasteride and cut out fin entirely. Improv works best on stage and in debate class, not with your medical regimen.

Start taking 0.5 mg daily as others have suggested and come back in 12 months.

I was recommended by this by my hair transplant doc in korea. This is typically what they recommend I think. So I think with everyone's consensus is to either hop back on fin + dut combo or just switch to dut .5 daily.

I'm assuming the switch to the dut .5 3x a week just isn't strong enough? I was hoping it was just a major shed before more thickening ☹️

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Panda858 said:

I was recommended by this by my hair transplant doc in korea. This is typically what they recommend I think. So I think with everyone's consensus is to either hop back on fin + dut combo or just switch to dut .5 daily.

I'm assuming the switch to the dut .5 3x a week just isn't strong enough? I was hoping it was just a major shed before more thickening ☹️

Its fine my friend ..what is done is done...its not a battle lost ..the good thing is you are a good responder to medication and you will soon make up for the ground lost...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023