Do I need grafts on my mid scalp too?

Hello everyone, 

I have a transplant coming up next month with Dr Pathomvanich in Bangkok with around 2000 grafts for my crown and 2000 for my hairline and deep temples and am wondering if should be worried about my mid scalp area.

I recently shaved my hair off to get used to having shorter hair for after the transplant and noticed that my mid scalp looks quite thin. See pic below:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.67aee33a765ed23d9ba531c0990dc6eb.jpg

However before I shaved it off it looked like this:

IMG_6766.thumb.jpg.fc13b552010fb511966afb6843a5cd19.jpg

I asked Dr Path about this and he basically said it would 6000 grafts and I should wait a year if I want my mid scalp done too.

Screenshot2023-05-19at20_28_33.thumb.png.92d292b8ab936b69216d545f6e954b2b.png

Ideally I'd like to keep my hair short, probably inbetween the lengths of the two pics I've uploaded. My concern is if my crown and and hairline look good post HT but my midscalp thin looks thin compared. Did anyone else run into this stumbling block? Any insight would be appreciated. Thankyou

I don't think you need to add grafts to mid-scalp now. Your doctor is right, if you add grafts now then it will be too big of a session and its always risky for your donor area to look depleted due to over harvesting and also its not best for your recipient area. And regarding your concern of mid-scalp looking thinner than crown and hairline,  it takes 1 year to get your results from HT so by time this happens you will be ready for next surgery.

mid-scalp is not easily visible, if your hairline is good after HT then you can just have a slick back hairstyle. Many other hair length and hair styles you can do to hide mid-scalp thinning easily.

• Like 1

Yeah I agree with the Drs approach, it’s possible you will be happy with the 2 areas when they are addressed, the mid section can be done at a later date if needed. When it’s grown out it actually looks ok, see how it appears after the Ht has reached full maturation. Good luck 🤞 

You seem to have good coverage in your midscalp. I wouldnt really touch it, the frontal part and entrances would really be a good start. Then after a year you could possibly address the Midscalp and Crown. 

Could potentially try Oral Minoxidil to thicken that area and maybe you wouldnt need to touch it since you got a decent amount already in there.

Try to grow it out long since HTs usually look their best when you max out the lenght of your hairs and provide better layering coverage over your scalp. 

Appreciate your reassurances lads. I always imagine having very short hair after a HT but perhaps with an FUT scar and thinning on my midscalp I will now consider mid to long hair styles. It's actually been quite fun looking up different styles I could sport. Thanks again fellas.