I know you need to avoid the sun for six months in the recipient, but what about donor area?

The clinic I had my procedure from told me shock loss can take 3-5 months for it to start to grow back. In my case I had very obvious shock loss by 3 months, it was heavily concealed by 3.5 months, by four months it was invisible unless I tried to expose it and now at 5 months I was fully recovered.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

Recipient is what you need to protect.  

After a HT, your recipient area is red because your body is trying to heal it and you don't want to slow down that healing process by adding a sunburn on top of it (so that it doesn't slow down the healing and possibly impede the growth of your newly transplanted hairs).  So, wear a hat for the next six months. 

Your donor area, on the other hand, just needs to heal its extraction wounds.  This is usually resolved pretty quickly within the first couple of days/weeks by keeping it clean and applying polyderm (to avoid infection).  Your donor is not going to be bright red/pink like your recipient, and you didn't just plant thousands of new follicles into your donor that you're hoping to grow.  

There is also the matter of allowing your nerve endings to heal in your donor, and that will happen naturally over the next few weeks..however, I don't think the the sun has a significant impact on this.  I mean, I guess if you badly sunburn the area, then it would probably slow down your donor area healing. ..but the purpose of the whole "avoiding the sun" thing is geared moreso to protecting your newly transplanted grafts in your recipient area.  

• Like 1