How Important is Diet before hair transplant?

Hi all,

My clinic told me to avoid vitamine E capsules and multivitamins that have vitamin E and to avoid alcohol. How important is my diet in the week before the procedure however? Will it make a huge difference in the results of the transplant?

I normally eat: a starbucks breakfast sandwhich, meat and veggies, maybe a serving of fruit, and some rice. Dinner is usually some fish and rice and slight greens.

This changes each day. I used to take a full on nutritional supplement but had to stop.

Any expert advice here?

• Valued Contributor

It is usually advised not to take herbal supplements and specially vitamin E supplement 1 week prior to surgery cause of the bleeding issue which can be faced suring surgery ....normal healthy diet is fine and don't need any alterations...its just the excessive intake of certain vitamins are advised to stop...and it is advised to stop alcohol 1 week prior to surgery as it also affects blood...so just need to be cautious about few things but no need to alter normal healthy diet...

Check Out My Hair Transplant Journey

--> My Thread

3611 FUE Grafts With Dr Kongkiat Laorwong | Norwood 5 | 2nd May 2023 

Diet shouldnt affect the HT results at all. That being said, to be safe maybe you should plan on gaining 5 lbs or so from the procedure. You may be traveling far, doing a lot of sitting, eating a lot of unhealthy food. And then post-op you may be sitting indoors doing nothing forr 3 weeks or so, and again eating to occupy your time or as comfort food. 

I wouldnt worry about it that much though, because as soon as you are out of the immediate post-op period and return to your normal routine and eating habits, your weight should return to baseline.