Question about post op sleep

I had a two day operation and the 2nd day was beard extractions. So I was laying on my side for a bit during the beard extractions. I had hairline work done the first day and mostly crown work the second. As far as sleeping post op goes, is sleeping on our back simply for swelling? I've been sleeping on my back for about 5 days now. Was just curious as to why we can't sleep on our sides if I was made to lay side ways the day right after hairline work. I always used to think it was so the grafts don't fall out of place but that wouldn't seem to be the case based on being made to lay on my side for beard extractions. I'll keep sleeping on my back though to be safe but something that I was thinking about. Anyone know more about this? Thank you

Did Bisanga tell you how long you need to sleep on your back?

I was told grafts are essentially secure after 3 days and I could sleep however I wanted after the 3rd night. 

Graft security and when you can sleep properly always brings a multitude of different answers though. 

Every patient and surgery is different and I imagine the most satisfactory answer that will give you peace of mind will come from the clinic. 

Just now, airporteffect said:

I definitely rolled onto my side the first night and I’m wondering if I ruined the temple work or not. Time will tell! I plan on trying to sleep on my back until day 10 post-op. A travel neck pillow is helpful!

yes a travel pillow really is the most effective and simplest solution. No need to handcuff your hands to your bedposts or sleep upright in some custom lounge chair set up

just a good old fashioned travel pillow in bed will prevent you from turning onto your sides.

• Well Done 1

3 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

yes a travel pillow really is the most effective and simplest solution. No need to handcuff your hands to your bedposts or sleep upright in some custom lounge chair set up

just a good old fashioned travel pillow in bed will prevent you from turning onto your sides.

I definitely found ways to turn onto my side with the pillow. I literally woke up with the pillow rotated 180° around my neck from when I went to sleep a few times.

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Did Bisanga tell you how long you need to sleep on your back?

I was told grafts are essentially secure after 3 days and I could sleep however I wanted after the 3rd night. 

Graft security and when you can sleep properly always brings a multitude of different answers though. 

Every patient and surgery is different and I imagine the most satisfactory answer that will give you peace of mind will come from the clinic. 

I was told something similar in terms of graft security by someone at the clinic who did my post op instructions. I was just playing it extra safe and was curious to what people have heard as I've heard a bunch of different timeliness regarding graft security. Can never be too careful

42 minutes ago, airporteffect said:

I definitely found ways to turn onto my side with the pillow. I literally woke up with the pillow rotated 180° around my neck from when I went to sleep a few times.

Yeah it's very tough but luckily I'm on like day 4 or 5 now. 2 day op and time difference.  Don't even feel like calculating . But cant wait till the scabs are off for sleep purposes

Just now, Hah6788887 said:

Yeah it's very tough but luckily I'm on like day 4 or 5 now. 2 day op and time difference.  Don't even feel like calculating . But cant wait till the scabs are off for sleep purposes

I gently started massaging the scabs on day 6 since they were so damn itchy. I was very gentle, many came off super easily, and there was no blood but I was supposed to wait until day 8 to begin that process, haha. Everything that I’ve read says you’re good unless you get blood so hopefully I didn’t ruin anything. 

1 hour ago, airporteffect said:

I gently started massaging the scabs on day 6 since they were so damn itchy. I was very gentle, many came off super easily, and there was no blood but I was supposed to wait until day 8 to begin that process, haha. Everything that I’ve read says you’re good unless you get blood so hopefully I didn’t ruin anything. 

Lol tbh I think we all are super worried that something may happen but from what I understand as well, as long as you don't bleed and are generally careful, you'll be fine. I think you'll be fine. 

• Like 1