Finasteride before transplant

37/m

scheduled for a hair transplant 1/16, but only started finasteride 2 weeks ago. Have been noticing more thinning on the crown as of late. Should I push back the surgery to see if my hair loss stabilizes on fin or would continued use be ok?  Clinic said it was fine I was just starting so close to surgery.

thanks

Most patients get to experience some type of result 2 weeks after starting the medication.  Could be just as simple as "slowing down the loss." If that's the case, you could move forward with a procedure.  It really takes a good year to confirm what exactly the medication will do.  And, if it works, stay on it.  It does you no good to start and stop.  Just a waste of time, trouble and expense.

What if you're not a responder to the medication? What difference does it make if you postpone for a few months? Whatever it takes to confirm the medication is doing its thing is not a bad idea.  You may even want to combine this with other modalities.  The mechanism of action of each is totally different and there's synergy when combined.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.