Graft count question

Hi all

I recently had an FUT procedure done in California for 2500 grafts. I chose FUT so there would be more lifetime grafts available in the future. The procedure went well just one question about graft count below.

I did a manual count (photos attached) and got to about 920 scabs in the front area and 320 scabs in the vertex area which is a total of 1240 scabs. 

The doctor's answer: he uses a technique called "double grafting" so in actuality each scab counts as two grafts (with each graft containing 1-3 hairs). If that's accurate, then the 1240 scabs I counted would be about 2500 grafts. 

Reported final count from doc's office:
802 1-hair Follicular Units - 802 hairs
905 2-hair Follicular Units -    1810 hairs
810 3-hair Follicular Units - 2430 hairs
Total: 2517 grafts with 5042 hairs

I do think the scabs in the attached photos seem larger than what I'm used to seeing on post transplant photos so that would align with the explanation.

In any case, wanted to ask on here if anyone has any thoughts on this?? 

The doctor is rated well enough near a ~4.75/5 average after 30+ years in practice so maybe my question is a bit paranoid, but since I didn't get to the 2500 count in the photo I wanted to ask for 2nd thoughts on here. Thanks to anyone who can weigh in.

vertex-count-v3.JPG

front-count-v2.JPG

• Confused 2

Double grafting? Ok ignoring that for a hot min, this isn’t looking too good. The density that has been implanted isn’t sufficient Imho. I also have to ignore the so called rating, as we know these cannot be trusted at all, and easy to game.

Can you share who this Dr/Clinic is? Just because they have 30+ years of experience does not necessarily make them a good choice. 

• Like 1

I’m sounding critical, but I’m just trying to give a honest opinion from what I can see and what you have written. Personally I think they are taking you for a ride, double graft nonsense and what appears to be inadequate for the area covered.

Positives? Yeh, I’m pretty sure they have not taken much from you’re donor area, so the next procedure (someone else) should be able to get you to a much better place. Sorry if anything I’m saying sounds negative, prefer being upfront rather than give false hope here. 

Could we see a pic of post op as well please? How is the FUT scar looking? 

Edited by Pbaird98
  • Like 1