Value of DIY topical fin?

jr1986

After a month of oral fin I stopped due to sides, mainly brain fog, which was horrible. Even after cutting my dose back to nearly nothing I still got it.

Anyway, after watching YouTube videos and reading forums I decided to make up a solution with the finasteride tablets I have.

Currently crushing two 1mg tablets and dissolving in 6mls of 96% ethanol, 2mls distilled water, and 4ml propolyne glycol.

I'm applying 2ml every night to my scalp, mainly in the temples and crown. This is equivalent of 1/3 of a mg applied to my scalp every night.

It's coming 3 weeks and I've no sides what so ever, which is good but makes me wonder if it's doing any good at all.

There are lots of people adding finasteride to minoxidil or making a stand alone solution like me. 

Just wondering if this has any potential to help or is it a waste of time. I mean they say pregnant women shouldn't even touch a tablet, so surely a solution with alcohol will absorb into the scalp?

Thanks 😊

that's a pretty potent content of alcohol... it would also be very fast to evaporate, so i have no idea about the absorption.

why not try mixing with minoxidil then if you're making it DIY? minoxidil is an alcohol base as well, with that you basically apply both meds in one go

21 minutes ago, mafpe said:

that's a pretty potent content of alcohol... it would also be very fast to evaporate, so i have no idea about the absorption.

why not try mixing with minoxidil then if you're making it DIY? minoxidil is an alcohol base as well, with that you basically apply both meds in one go

Think minoxidil is 30% ethanol, 50% proplyne glycol, and 20% water so maybe I should adjust mine accordingly..

20 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

I don’t think the math is right. 

Topical fin also gets absorbed into bloodstream although to a lesser extent so check if your sides from oral fin aren’t just placebo. 

What part isn't right?

I doubt it was placebo effect. I mean I've no placebo effect with the topical I'm making?

2 hours ago, jr1986 said:

What part isn't right?

I doubt it was placebo effect. I mean I've no placebo effect with the topical I'm making?

It seems like you’re using more than 1/3 of mg of fin if you apply 2ml but I am not particularly good at maths. I remember Kevin (haircafe) using a much more diluted solution than two 1mg tabs in 12ml. But if you’re convinced your math is right then ignore my post.

That’s why I mean if you might have had placebo effect on oral fin because the topical does get absorbed to bloodstream to a lesser extent than oral and suppresses DHT in bloodstream. But if you don’t get sides from topical then great.

Fin does get absorbed through skin rather easily so don’t worry about topical not being effective for hairloss. 

Edited by LookMaxx

8 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

It seems like you’re using more than 1/3 of mg of fin if you apply 2ml but I am not particularly good at maths. I remember Kevin (haircafe) using a much more diluted solution than two 1mg tabs in 12ml. But if you’re convinced your math is right then ignore my post.

That’s why I mean if you might have had placebo effect on oral fin because the topical does get absorbed to bloodstream to a lesser extent than oral and suppresses DHT in bloodstream. But if you don’t get sides from topical then great.

Fin does get absorbed through skin rather easily so don’t worry about topical not being effective for hairloss. 

2mg in 12ml is 1mg per 6ml of solution, so 1/3mg per 2ml dose.

Kevin has a video where he dilutes 1.25mg into stemoxydine from L'Oréal. 

He says that this is a legit way to take finasteride as instructed by his doctor. He says you can use your own alcohol/propolyne glycol solution to.

I'll keep going and see what happens

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thought I'd update this if anyone is interested. Still using my home made topical. 

Current formula is-

5ml 96% alcohol

5ml propolyne glycol 

2ml distilled water

4 1mg finasteride tablets

I'm using a mortar and pestle to crush the tablets into a very fine powder, add to the solution and shake vigorously then leave a few hours before using.

I'm using 2-2.5ml 2nights in a row, then taking the third off. Solution lasts about a week.

I have zero sides at all except that it seems to make my head itch worse than before.

Only sign of encouragement I've seen is it appears I'm not shedding as much hair as I was before fin. This might just be a coincidence, but I used to see quite a bit of hair on my hands in the shower but this seems to have reduced.