FUE with SMP

Hi there,

Short time lurker, first time poster...
I'm thinking of getting a transplant. I'm almost 33 years with a NW 7 and don't think I will have much scalp donor capacity to use.
Like everyone, I would like to get as close as possible to the illusion of native density, so I was thinking of doing SMP to complement the transplant.
Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts are in regards to this.
Why do most people here still use toppik instead of SMP after their transplant, does it give a different effect?
Would it be better to do the SMP before or after the transplant?

Also, assuming the SMP and transplant will have the desired effect right now, let's say in 10 years when everything goes white/grey will the SMP stand out and look unnattural against the white hairs or will a maintenance with a light ink fix that? And will that even work over the darker ink? 🤔

• Like 1

I do have that and it's quite bad, when there's wind for exemple you can see something's off. But my density is also quite low and I wear long hair. Could be maybe better with short hair but I need to have more work done to be able to do that (fue scar repair, a bit more coverage on recipient).

Although, I'm hoping that with another session and more density it can enhance my results. (I'm talking about another hair transplant session not SMP touch up)

Check this:

Edited by Rasputin
  • Like 1

Hair fiber gives 3D density, it makes your hair itself thicker, SMP doesn't, I guess that's the reason why most people here use hair fibers.

I just don't like it. I feel dirty with it, but the results are really good, I tried, and it's better than SMP (at least with the density I have now)

Edited by Rasputin
  • Like 1

Hi, I did SMP for hair density after a FUE transplant. 
Here is the result (left = before, right = after);
image.png.d6a166f26c79a01c09de80a2b55a2acf.png

SMP doesn't do a whole lot but it's definitely an improvement.  It helps hide your scalp if your hair is thin and gives a boost.

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

I do have that and it's quite bad, when there's wind for exemple you can see something's off. But my density is also quite low and I wear long hair. Could be maybe better with short hair but I need to have more work done to be able to do that (fue scar repair, a bit more coverage on recipient).

Although, I'm hoping that with another session and more density it can enhance my results. (I'm talking about another hair transplant session not SMP touch up)

Check this:

Wow that guy's result is really impressive, but the laser looked so painful ouch..

Do you know how many FU/cm2 you have? Hopefully the increase in coverage and shorter hair will do the trick!

1 hour ago, SeanToman said:

Hi, I did SMP for hair density after a FUE transplant. 
Here is the result (left = before, right = after);
image.png.d6a166f26c79a01c09de80a2b55a2acf.png

SMP doesn't do a whole lot but it's definitely an improvement.  It helps hide your scalp if your hair is thin and gives a boost.

Thanks SeanToman, I think it looks great, I can definitely see less scalp that's for sure. Have you had any issues when the wind blows like @Rasputin was saying?

45 minutes ago, bootz said:

Thanks SeanToman, I think it looks great, I can definitely see less scalp that's for sure. Have you had any issues when the wind blows like @Rasputin was saying?

Thank you!  Personally no I don't have wind issues after my FUE.
However sunlight can really affect the appearance of density.

SMP does a decent job camouflaging this but it doesn't work as well under very bright white indoor lights.

Regardless, any SMP is an improvement to a hair transplant in my opinion.  Even if it's small.

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 1:26 AM, bootz said:

Wow that guy's result is really impressive, but the laser looked so painful ouch..

Do you know how many FU/cm2 you have? Hopefully the increase in coverage and shorter hair will do the trick!

Unfortunately I don't really know, need to get this info for my next session.

But I definitely have less density than SeanToman, his results look good without SMP already so yeah it gives a boost. The wind is mostly a problem for my mid scalp where density is less than the hairline (this is why the wind is not a good thing for me so far)

• Thanks 1