Drinking/Smoking before a hair Transplant?

For those who drink or smoke  how many days did you stop before your hair transplant? I've  been hearing a lot of mixed expert opinions,  some are saying 7 days, others are saying 48 hours🤔. 

How many days did you give up before? And when did you have your first drink or smoke after the operation?

Oh its this thread again 🤣

I recently had surgery with a very reputable doctor. When all was wrapped up, in person i asked him when i could start smoking marijuana again. He said "anytime". 

For my own peace of mind I will probably wait 10 days or so. 

No clue about drinking, or smoking weed beforehand.

• Haha 1

You probably should avoid drinking or smoking for 2 weeks prior and 2 weeks after.  Other than that, I'd imagine the difference it will make (particularly if you're not an extremely heavy smoker/drinker) will be nil.  Sure, you'll be advised against it, but I seriously doubt after that point you'll be doing damage.

Edited by John1991
  • Thanks 1

In regards to alcohol use, main concern is alcohol increase your risk of bleeding, mainly for chronic alcohol use. Excess alcohol use will increase bleeding from the incision site both at donor and recipient area! In general it takes 12-24 hour to clear your body from alcohol but again chronic use would still increase your risk even if you didn’t drink few days or weeks before the surgery! 
Bottom line, avoid excess alcohol use in general, and don’t drink at all at least 2-3 days prior to surgery! 

For smoking, it’s not as clear, I couldn’t find an actual study or literature for specific time line, but in general smoking would decrease your healing ability and lower immunity, therefore increase risk of infection!
Seems like a general consensus among HT is to avoid smoking for 1-2 weeks pre and post procedure!
It’s relevant to note that few studies being done to study the effect of smoking on hair loss! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Warriors123 said:

For those who drink or smoke  how many days did you stop before your hair transplant? I've  been hearing a lot of mixed expert opinions,  some are saying 7 days, others are saying 48 hours🤔. 

How many days did you give up before? And when did you have your first drink or smoke after the operation?

It is better to stop drinking and smoking at least 7 days prior and after the transplantation procedure. That should be sufficient time.

• Like 2