Topical Fin/Min side effects

Hi all 

I am currently a Norwood 5 and have been for a few months. About a year ago I was a Norwood 3/4 and tried oral Finasteride with Rogaine. After a few days I had pretty bad side effects, mostly insomnia which got so bad I couldn't sleep for weeks properly. I stopped after about a month after talking to a doctor about it and I think this contributed to the eventual slip into Norwood 4 and now 5, as I shed a lot of hair during that time and it has never returned. 

I am now thinking of going back as I recently came across this - . I haven't tried Rogaine on its own so dont know if that was causing the side effects or the Finasteride.

I am wondering if anyone here has used this or an equivalent product. Especially interested if you had side effects with oral Finasteride and then switched to this and what the experience was like. 

That's interesting to hear you suffered from insomnia and not some sexual side effect. I wasn't even aware insomnia could be a potential side effect.

Anyways, I have no personal experience with topical Fin, however from what I've been consistently seeing in my research is that the topical version doesn't seem to have any of those pesky negative sides. Granted these are only anecdotal and not backed by science, but the general consensus is that it's free of sides.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, ybism said:

Hi all 

I am currently a Norwood 5 and have been for a few months. About a year ago I was a Norwood 3/4 and tried oral Finasteride with Rogaine. After a few days I had pretty bad side effects, mostly insomnia which got so bad I couldn't sleep for weeks properly. I stopped after about a month after talking to a doctor about it and I think this contributed to the eventual slip into Norwood 4 and now 5, as I shed a lot of hair during that time and it has never returned. 

I am now thinking of going back as I recently came across this - https://www.forhims.com/hair-loss/topical-finasteride. I haven't tried Rogaine on its own so dont know if that was causing the side effects or the Finasteride.

I am wondering if anyone here has used this or an equivalent product. Especially interested if you had side effects with oral Finasteride and then switched to this and what the experience was like. 

Hey have you start taking topical finasteride 

29 minutes ago, Andres said:

Hey have you start taking topical finasteride 

Hey not yet, I'm thinking of waiting towards the Christmas period when work is quiet so even if I do have insomnia again it'll be not as great of an impact. Are you thinking of using it?

16 hours ago, Balding Bad said:

That's interesting to hear you suffered from insomnia and not some sexual side effect. I wasn't even aware insomnia could be a potential side effect.

Anyways, I have no personal experience with topical Fin, however from what I've been consistently seeing in my research is that the topical version doesn't seem to have any of those pesky negative sides. Granted these are only anecdotal and not backed by science, but the general consensus is that it's free of sides.

Yh I found a few people complaining about it online but not in their literature about the possible side effects so it's not as common as other sides. 

I've seen the same but cant understand the science behind that tbh - from what I understand it still gets into the bloodstream when sprayed so not sure why there's no side effects with topical. My plan is to start with once every 3-4 days then every 2-3 days etc until I know its not affecting me. 

25 minutes ago, ybism said:

Hey not yet, I'm thinking of waiting towards the Christmas period when work is quiet so even if I do have insomnia again it'll be not as great of an impact. Are you thinking of using it?

I got you , I’m trying but I’m thinking I’m the same situation side effects