What is better to use? Propecia or Minoxidil Max

12 hours ago, Pablito said:

Minoxidil cosmetically enhances the hair but does nothing to prevent loss, your male pattern baldness will continue in time.

Finasteride will prevent hereditary loss if it works on you.

Hold on. I thought minoxidil regrows hair not "enhances" it. Define "enhances."

15 hours ago, deanro said:

Hold on. I thought minoxidil regrows hair not "enhances" it. Define "enhances."

From my understanding it can regrow terminal hairs that are almost invisible to the naked eye and increase the shaft diameter which results in a fuller looking. So it can also aside from regrowing hair it can also enhance the nonvellus hair.

1 hour ago, Pablito said:

From my understanding it can regrow terminal hairs that are almost invisible to the naked eye and increase the shaft diameter which results in a fuller looking. So it can also aside from regrowing hair it can also enhance the nonvellus hair.

Ok but why do I see before an after pics of guys showing good regrowth using min?

Years ago, and I think this still holds true, Propecia/Fin is supposedly more effective.  A combo of both, however, is best.  And now you can add PRP and laser.  Did I read "regrowth?" No such thing.  There are two types of loss, the type you see and the type you don't.  The type you see deals with normal shedding.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  After a resting period, (3-4 months), the hair will return.  So, when you see hair in the pillow, shower, sink, etc...smile.  You know that hair is returning. The type of loss you don't see....that's hair loss. 

Under a bright light look at the temporal areas.  Look at the diameter of each strand. Some thick, some not so much so.  Some may be even so thin you can't hardly see them.  This process is called miniaturization.  Eventually the hair just atrophies and withers away.  That's hair loss.  Time to be on meds is before you lose the hair.

The meds are not intended for you to regrow anything.  They help retain the native hair.  From time to time, however, you can have enhancement of the hair discussed above.  Looks like regrowth but it's not.

• Thanks 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

On 5/24/2021 at 11:55 PM, LaserCaps said:

Years ago, and I think this still holds true, Propecia/Fin is supposedly more effective.  A combo of both, however, is best.  And now you can add PRP and laser.  Did I read "regrowth?" No such thing.  There are two types of loss, the type you see and the type you don't.  The type you see deals with normal shedding.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and it takes a vacation.  After a resting period, (3-4 months), the hair will return.  So, when you see hair in the pillow, shower, sink, etc...smile.  You know that hair is returning. The type of loss you don't see....that's hair loss. 

Under a bright light look at the temporal areas.  Look at the diameter of each strand. Some thick, some not so much so.  Some may be even so thin you can't hardly see them.  This process is called miniaturization.  Eventually the hair just atrophies and withers away.  That's hair loss.  Time to be on meds is before you lose the hair.

The meds are not intended for you to regrow anything.  They help retain the native hair.  From time to time, however, you can have enhancement of the hair discussed above.  Looks like regrowth but it's not.

Very well explained. That's why I also used "enhanced" and not regrowth. Minox temporarely increased the shaft diameter of weak hairs giving the illusion of new hair growth.

I know it makes people happy to see results on minoxidil only, but under the hood DHT keeps crushing your follicles and the cosmetic effects of minoxidil will be gone in time. It's pretty much useless to use minoxidil only as a longterm solution.