strip and telogen graphs

Maxxy helped answer a question I had concerning telogen hairs lost to strip surgery, linking to his similar question from early this year.

http://hair-restoration-info.c...=783100201#783100201

Reading the comments, telogen hairs lost to strip appear to be hit and miss. Sounds as if a fair number of these resting hairs are lost in strip. In a multi-hair graft, telogen hairs has some slight potential to be kept for both strip and fue? While one hair telogen grafts surely get thrown out in a strip procedure. The alternative of fue leaves single graph telogen hairs undisturbed.

As Maxxy notes in the linked message, the strip method limitation concerning telogen hairs conceivably equates up to a 13% loss rate. Something to consider when contemplating strip vs fue.

This begets a new question about treatments to prolong the growth phase in the donor region in preparation for strip surgery, to potentially limit the number of telogen hairs lost.

H&W desire patients stop minox prior to surgery. Besides minox, are there any other treatments which have the potential to keep hair out of the telogen phase, which can be used temporarily in the donor prior to a strip procedure? CP, SOD, L-arginine , et al? Any thoughts?

Originally posted by ScottishGuy:

I'm pretty sure that finasteride is the ideal treatment to take pre-op to lengthen the growth phase...

Many people go through an initial shedding phase on finisteride and especially dutasteride. Sometimes the shed can be quite severe which I think is a good argument to either start many months before the surgery, or wait until after surgery before getting on either.