How long does it take for a scar to cover up?

Hi Guys,

I need some advice.

As a professional working in the public sector, image counts for a lot. Hence when my previous mane started to shed in my early thirties, I naturally went for surgery - Initially done by the hospital group UK. Strip: not great but excellent result for me because of my natural hair. I believed it helped me progress in my career but after about five years (now in my late 30s) things didn't look so good with more loss and some of those plugs were showing! Then procedure number two - at the Farjo (Manchester UK). Strip, closed with a trichophytic technique, Front now looks very impressive and seems permenant (I probably will only want a little tweaking at some point).

Now at 42 years I have thinning at the Crown, despite dutasteride and propecia. However does not seem to be progressing. I have a lot of thick doner hair. I have decided that the best way forward is with FUE perhaps with one of the masters. And here lies the problem. I know they will want to shave at least part of my head - hence exposing my scar, which will give the game away as I have never told anyone of my previous surgery (except wife!). I will certainly not want to be at work while the scar shows.

Hence the questions are:

How long should I be looking to be off work? Should I think about mini procedures where only a strip is shaved? Or should I go back and have another strip - They will probably usee the same old scar (but I fear the result will not be as natural)

Please help wise friends.

Normally, with fue it's virtually undetectable after a week or so - but considering you already have a scar, and fue requires shaving, you must conceal this scar by growing your hair out again - which can take months depending on it's quality.

Why fue? You already have a scar. You might as well use up your strip donor before moving onto fue, it's cheaper, and you can find yourself a doctor who does not require shaving - if your hair is long enough, and with some clever styling, you shouldn't need more than a week off work.

It's also more expensive, in general gives not as good results, and not all clinics can do more than 1500ish grafts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

11/04-07 - 800-1600 ish grafts - danish clinic - poor results

12/02-08 - 2764 grafts - Dr. Devroye - good result but needs hairline density

03/12-10 - 1429 grafts - Dr. Mohmand - result pending

Feel free to visit my picture thread

My Hair Transplant Photos - Surgery with Dr. Devroye

Young lads below 25 unite!

• 4 weeks later...