Do we take more Finasteride than is really needed?

bayareaht

I was going through THIS ARTICLE and saw that a 0.2 mg finasteride (about 5 times lower than Propecia) is just as effective as 1mg to contain both scalp- and serum- level DHT.

Why it is then MERCK does not lower the dosage and pass on to us the saving? Also, it seems that a lower dose would also lower the sexual side-effects that made the drug a bit scary for a hairloss patient!

I would love to hear more from doctors present in the forum.

I was going through THIS ARTICLE and saw that a 0.2 mg finasteride (about 5 times lower than Propecia) is just as effective as 1mg to contain both scalp- and serum- level DHT.

Why it is then MERCK does not lower the dosage and pass on to us the saving? Also, it seems that a lower dose would also lower the sexual side-effects that made the drug a bit scary for a hairloss patient!

I would love to hear more from doctors present in the forum.

Beerman,

The pill cutters are sold from the shelf back near the pharmacy in the CVS's that I have been to.

bayareaht,

Interesting article. Many physicians recommend patients start out on lower dosages of Finasteride at the beginning. Maybe .5 mg per day or 1 mg 3 times a week; something to that effect. Like any medication, your body can build up a tolerance to it and you can up the dose later on.

This is not the first place that I have seen that (for a new user, at least) .2 mg of Finasteride gives nearly the same benefit of 1`mg.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog