Scarring hair loss ("cicatricial alopecia") and hair transplant surgery?

I recently consulted with a very nice young man who suffered from scarring hair loss (cicatricial alopecia). He's been dealing with the effects of this dramatic hair loss for years and wanted to "fix it" before starting school at a new university in the fall.

He was desperate for a solution and wanted hair transplant surgery. One of the best parts of being a hair restoration physician is being able to help these patients out. Men and women come to us after years of anxiety and stress, and we get to really fix their problem and transform their lives. It's a fantastic feeling and I love being able to do it!

Unfortunately, that's not what happened with this young man. I had to inform him that he was not a candidate for hair transplant surgery. I did my best to explain, and he understood in the end. He was disappointed, but grateful that we didn't put him through a surgery we knew wouldn't work. He also mentioned to me that many aspects of his condition were not explained before. He was also never told he couldn't undergo hair transplant surgery.

Because of this, I wanted to make a video to try and help others who may be in the same situation. Since HTN is the place to go for hair loss and hair restoration info on the web, I figured I'd share it here!

Hope you guys like it! I also hope it helps someone else down the road:

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Great post Dr Bloxham,

It's a shame this guys needs couldn't be met. But it's nice when a doctor spends time and explains why there needs can't be met.

That's what's great about this forum, ethical docs not just out for the big bucks.

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Irish,

Yeah, it was actually really hard to break the news to him. Good that he now understands his hair loss a bit more and even better that he now knows NOT to jump into surgery, but still not as satisfying as doing a big procedure and giving him that "WOW" transformation. Know what I mean?

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Can't beat the wow factor doc, that's what we all want.

I think you missed a trick with the modified fue though. You have been looking for people to participate , I thought you might of approached Sean.

I think after the results he got in his big fue cases this might of been a great case to prove that someone can get a strip result with fue like scarring.

Just a thought

Irish,

I thought he just had a second FUE to repair/augment the first?

I'd be happy to evaluate him for mFUE if he's interested. Like you said, this is a great indication for the technique. I actually have a few guys in this exact situation coming in -- not happy with their FUE results, want a transformation similar to what they see from strip, but still not comfortable with the potential scar. I tell them about mFUE and they are in!

I'm going to drop him a message. I don't think the repair went well, he was asking on his thread for recommendations .

I think this could be a classic case.

If I had it all to do again, I think I'd prefer mfue. Or as I refer to it as middle of the road fut :)

All the positives and less of the risks, what's not to like

Irish,

That's the way I look at it too!