Are generally hair thinning remedies effective?

I'm dealing with hair loss dilemma coming from the recent past i must are aware that should i utilize physician encouraged products like Rogaine or even man provillus or can i undergo hair loss medical procedures, I must understand which hair thinning therapy is effective?

Edited by David - Moderator

Hey destinyraymond:

When you use the word "recent past", do you mean the physician thinks your hairloss is somehow connected with a traumatic event like major surgery (i.e. telogen effluvium)? Have you been diagnosed with male pattern baldness? If it is telogen effluvium, then the affected areas should eventually recover on their own over the next months.

The three accepted non-surgical treatments for male pattern baldness are: (1) Rogaine (generic name: minoxidil) which has different potency ranges (from 2.5% all the way to I believe 15%); (2) Propecia (generic name: finasteride); and (3) and Nizoral (a shampoo which inhibits DHT). Each preventative treatment has its advantages and disadvantages which you will want to research in order to arrive at an informed decision. Depending on your hairloss pattern and expectations, a HT could be a viable option but of course there are potential risks just like any elective surgery. I have never heard of "man provillus" so I can't really comment on that option. Best of luck and use this forum to your advantage!

destiny,

When it comes to non-surgical hair loss treatments for male pattern baldness, there are only two drugs that are clinically proven and FDA approved: these are Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (5% minoxidil). For females, only Rogaine is proven safe and effective.

There is a lot to know about the above hair loss drugs and you should take some time to research them. Using this forum's search feature will yield many discussions on the topic. I also recommend consulting with a skilled and experienced hair restoration physician like those recommended by the Hair Transplant Network. If there are no recommended physicians in your area, you can always schedule free online consultations with the doctor or doctors of your choice.

By consulting with an experienced and ethical hair transplant surgeon you will also determine if you're a candidate for surgical hair restoration now or if you may be a candidate in the future.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

I should add that, although these drugs are clinically proven, results vary from a patient to patient. The only way to know how they'll work for you is to give them a try. It's generally recommended that men with genetic hair loss use Propecia and Rogaine for at least 6 months and up to one full year before assessing their hair growth.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website