slight temple loss - is a HT appropiate?

To anyone who can offer advice from experience:

I've been vaguely considering how a HT may help my appearance for several years. I am 31 and have what some have told me is called a "widow-brow" where the hairline has receded at the corners of the forehead noticeably, but not very far (maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch straight-line from original corner to current corner). Almost all of the receding occured over 10 years ago when I was 19. I have not noticed any more significant receding since that time. When I was 21-24 I did notice that I seemed to be slightly losing thickness on the vertex and began taking Propecia around when I turned 24. That really seemed to work well and I didn't notice any more significant loss on the vertex and in fact possibly some decent regrowth in the time since then. I am still taking Propecia (Prozcar actually) and everything seems to be fairly stable hair-loss wise.

My hair loss seems to be fairly well frozen at its current state and it seems to me that I may be able to get a HT to move my hairline at the temples at least partially back to its original location. Based on my limited knowledge, I think I would be a good candidate for this type of HT for the following reasons: I have plenty of donor hair (I have very thick and dense hair on the back and sides), I don't have a whole lot to replace, I am still fairly young, and I don't seem to be at risk of further receding behind the potential new transplant area.

My questions are: Is this line of reasoning sound? Am I indeed a decent candidate for a HT. What are the chances of maybe restoring maybe half of the temple loss and have it look almost undetectably natural? Also, my hair is fairly thick and dense, will this make it more or less likely to get satisfactory results?

I would appreciate any advice and/or insight.

JTR

To anyone who can offer advice from experience:

I've been vaguely considering how a HT may help my appearance for several years. I am 31 and have what some have told me is called a "widow-brow" where the hairline has receded at the corners of the forehead noticeably, but not very far (maybe about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch straight-line from original corner to current corner). Almost all of the receding occured over 10 years ago when I was 19. I have not noticed any more significant receding since that time. When I was 21-24 I did notice that I seemed to be slightly losing thickness on the vertex and began taking Propecia around when I turned 24. That really seemed to work well and I didn't notice any more significant loss on the vertex and in fact possibly some decent regrowth in the time since then. I am still taking Propecia (Prozcar actually) and everything seems to be fairly stable hair-loss wise.

My hair loss seems to be fairly well frozen at its current state and it seems to me that I may be able to get a HT to move my hairline at the temples at least partially back to its original location. Based on my limited knowledge, I think I would be a good candidate for this type of HT for the following reasons: I have plenty of donor hair (I have very thick and dense hair on the back and sides), I don't have a whole lot to replace, I am still fairly young, and I don't seem to be at risk of further receding behind the potential new transplant area.

My questions are: Is this line of reasoning sound? Am I indeed a decent candidate for a HT. What are the chances of maybe restoring maybe half of the temple loss and have it look almost undetectably natural? Also, my hair is fairly thick and dense, will this make it more or less likely to get satisfactory results?

I would appreciate any advice and/or insight.

JTR

Another factor might be your family history. Based on your description you ought to have an excellent result. The big question: Are you so unhappy with your recession that a transplant is worth the temporary financial, physical ( scars, shockloss, awkward hair) and psychological hardships... Will filling in those temples enhance your appearance dramatically?

Best of luck!

I agree with JacobS. After weighing in the financial, physical, and other aspects of undergoing surgery will the end result equal what you went through? If so, from what it sounds like you sound like you are a rather excellent candidate for bolstering your temporal region. We should all be so lucky as to have that minimal amount of loss at 31.

The fact that you are already on Finasteride and seemed to have stabilized your hair loss really helps. Take a close look at your immediate male family and assess as to whether you may be prone to "late" baldness - losing your hair at a relatively late age.

Finally, go for a consultation with a great hair transplant physician to get a true professional opinion.

One physician that is relatively near you is Dr. Raymond Konior. Dr. Konior is located in Oakbrook Terrace, IL.

Finally, good luck and welcome to the forums!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I would not do it. I was a NW 2 or 3 at 30-31. I had so much shock that I turned into a NW 5 . I had five surgeries so far with a 6th planned in 2 months. I too have super thick hair, extremely dense. The problem with thick hair is that is does not look natural when transplanted. The average man's top and front is always a little thinner than the sides. End result is a very hard hairline and a grafty appearance. You may need 2 sessions for a hairline. Your new hair may not blend in with the receding hair which will naturally be thinner in caliber. I would wait. Believe me, naturally thinning looks better than an unnatural ht. I wish I never did it. A ht is really for a bald man to get a little on top. If you have mpb I would hesistate till you know what level you are heading. If you stop propecia or your body builds immunity to it you will shed to a 5 as I did. You will be running for the chair for multiple sessions. Good luck. icon_smile.gif