Can rogaine cause hair loss?

GreenPanther

Greenpanther,

Many people do suffer through a "shedding phase" with Minoxidil. It has been my experience that this is temporary and normal, though I do not know your specific case. In my own case I experienced (luckily) very little shedding.

For anyone who is interested in learning more about Rogaine (Minoxidil) and its side effects go here.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Now that is an interesting question.

1) Some hair transplant physicians (including the one who performed my procedure) advise patients to apply Minoxidil to the recipient area starting three days post op for a fixed amount of time (like a month or so). I have done this and at a little over four weeks I noticed the first "peach fuzz" hairs sprouting. Is it because of the Minoxidil? Impossible to say. I continue this regimen and will continue it indefinitely because:

2) (keep in mind that this is my own personal theory, there is no evidence to support this nor have I been advised that this is true) Minoxidil is only recommended for the top and crown portions of the head. Once the makers of Rogaine saw that this was actually a solution that was proven beneficial, they rushed it to the market. Maybe the studies they did only concentrated on the crown. Maybe the studies they did did not yield enough results at the temporal region for them to be able to legally say it works. Personally, I am under the impression that it can't hurt. You can get it so cheaply these days (generic 5% Minoxidil) that I do not mind "doubling up" on the dosage (that is 1 one mL dropper in the suggested region, and 1 one mL dropper at the front everyday twice a day).

I hope this helps and remember that this is my personal agenda. What works for you may be completely different.

Good luck!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog