The ugly duckling stage

I have decided to equate my shock loss to purchasing a new car, driving it, and then being told that once you pay for it that you can't drive it for 6+ months.

I was holding onto my 3,000 FUE Grafts for 3 weeks, but with each hour that passes it keeps falling out. Darn you, shock loss!

Oh well, see you in 6 months, give or take, new hair!

Hi Stewie, I'm at 16 days post procedure now and am dreading this also... the hair in my donor area is growing like crazy and is really thick and almost feels like carpet... I'm hoping that I'm one of the 5% who don't suffer this shock loss, but not holding my breath... how did your donor hair look and feel before it fell out??

Hi Dog,

Are you referring to the donor or recipient area? My donor area where they took the hair didn't see much change as I have a lot in the back, but my recipient area looked really full and I was crossing my fingers, but on Monday of this week I looked at my hands in the shower and there was tons of hair.

It was definitely a false sense of "maybe I won't have shock loss" for the second to third week. It appeared to be full and growing.

Hi Stewie, sorry I meant recipient area. I know it will happen, but I'm hoping it won't. Ah well, not the end of the world. It's funny because it's growing like crazy and feels really tough and strong. Not for long though I fear.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Dog,

After 5+ weeks the only reminents of the surgery are minimal tiny scabs that remain and the ever-present red bald scalp that I notice more than anyone else.

About a week ago I stopped looking in the mirror to see if more hair had fallen out or started to grow. I know that eventually it will start to come in so I decided not to stress about it anymore.

Next Thursday I am taking a trip to Punta Cana for a long weekend and I am going to be reminded about it though as I will be wearing a hat at all times in the sun, hat in the pool, hat in the ocean, etc... I keep reminding myself that this was an investment and needs to be treated as such.

How are you hanging in there?

Yeah I'm ok. Just went 4 weeks yesterday and am back at work in another week and a half, so I doubt my redness will have disappeared by then. Oh well, just have to take the plunge and return to the office and see what everyone says.

About 60% of my implanted hair has gone now, but it looks like quite a few new ones are poking out which is good.

I'm two months post op. And Ugly Duckling is as good a term as any :) Hair loss all over ,(but especially at front); pimples , scabs and some patchy bleeding (where the scabs have been). To be honest, its not a major hassle. I'm looking at this long term (for me my first real check will be 12 months post op) as a marathon and not a 100 metre sprint.

Plus I've been reading enough personal journeys on here over the years to be 'at peace' with this chapter of the journey.

Even the areas that 'appear' as though there are no hairs visually, I accept that the buggers are lurking in stealth mode just beneath the surface.

All in good time Gents!

I'm two months post op. And Ugly Duckling is as good a term as any :) Hair loss all over ,(but especially at front); pimples , scabs and some patchy bleeding (where the scabs have been). To be honest, its not a major hassle. I'm looking at this long term (for me my first real check will be 12 months post op) as a marathon and not a 100 metre sprint.

Plus I've been reading enough personal journeys on here over the years to be 'at peace' with this chapter of the journey.

Even the areas that 'appear' as though there are no hairs visually, I accept that the buggers are lurking in stealth mode just beneath the surface.

All in good time Gents!

I have read up enough to know that zits are normal, to only open them up if using a sterile needles, and that they will come and go from weeks 4-12, but it seems like an insult to injury.

The ugly duckling stage is brutal on the ego.

I agree, ugly duckling stage is and ego killer. I'm at 2 months post opt FUE, and have been getting by with a hat at work and hibernation mode at home, movies, and tv, but I'm going stir crazy....the procedure was easy compared to the covering and waiting...I'm trying to take up some new hobbies, like playing piano or guitar. Seems to really take your mind off of things. You can only watch so much tv.

If you will it, they will come.