Finally getting on Finasteride

Loser

After over a year of procrastinating, I am finally getting started with the much-loved and much-hated drug.

I detected my hair loss when it had just started, around 1.5 years ago. Unfortunately, I did not get on Finasteride even though I bought a year's supply on the first day I realized I had a problem. But it was still undetectable to many, probably 10% less than a full head of hair. As of today, I have lost 40% more of hair of the 90% hair I had back then.

I am starting 1 mg Finasteride today. I have a few thoughts that I wanted to share, and hopefully, get some insights on. I understand it will be take me another year to start seeing benefits by which time I will probably end up losing another 10-15% of what I have now!

What do people mean when they say stopping Finasteride will make the hair fall start again?

A) Let's say, a new drug comes out which is more effective or has less side effects. (It may or may not work similarly in the way it prevents hair loss). Will someone on Finasteride switching to the new drug lose the hair they had retained until then?

B) If Finasteride (or nature) makes my DHT low (and it will stay there) after a year or so, would I still retain lose my hair if I stopped Finasternide? When people complain of side-effects of Finasteride, and the reason is declared "low DHT", is it not logical to think that at least their hair should stop falling at this time?

Any inputs will be gratefully read!

After over a year of procrastinating, I am finally getting started with the much-loved and much-hated drug.

Procrastinating! Thats a new word for me, I had to look it up.

I've only just started last week as it was prohibitively expensive before.

Good questions which I hope someone more qualified on here can explain.