Transplant #3 - 8 mos. Post-op

Now at 8 mos. post-op. Neither my first nor my second procedure took this long to see results.

While the scar line isn't visible at this length, at this point, I'm really thinking something went wrong here. The worst thing is that I still cannot go out without using a concealer (i.e. Toppik). As I told my doc, the whole reason for me going in a third time is so I won't have to keep using damn Toppik. Sometimes This really sucks when friends that know I've have HTs blurt out, "You're still bald". Toppik looks great once applied, but I risk embarrassment and can NEVER rest my head against anyone furniture unless it's black!

As you can see in the below photos:

1) There is still a linear depression directly below the rear scar line that has not minimized or healed (as I white-lined in the below photo). And, as you can see, the thatch of hair directly below this weird depression is more dense than above then strangely thins out again on the neck line. I never had these inconsistent variables of sparse and thick like this before.

2) Diffuse thinning remains on rear of crown and just above scar line.

Thoughts:

1) Permanent shock loss from multiple procedures

2) Delayed or no growth possible because of multiple procedures as I had complained about here:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ml#post2298975

Procedure #3 scar - 4 mos. post-op

3) Vascular compromise (decreased blood flow to the area caused by injury to the scalp from multiple procedures) and this may have resulted in sub-optimal graft growth

These posts are giving me some hope, but still think I'm cutting it awfully close:

Timing of Growth After Multiple Hair Transplants - Balding Blog

Blood Supply and Delayed Growth in Hair Transplants: Hair Restoration Paper | Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration

You can see my pre and early post-op photos here (click on the thumbnail, then click "Photo Info" for the description):

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...PHOTO%20ALBUM/

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Attached Thumbnails attachment.php?attachmentid=33795&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1346830474 attachment.php?attachmentid=33796&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1346830489

MCS,

I know exactly how you feel. I too have had 3 ht procedures. The first 2 were done in 2002 and 2003 and were both 1,200 grafts. As schedules the grafts shed, sprouted, grow, thickend and matured. I just hit the 10 month mark of my 3rd HT of 2,600+ grafts and do not see anything close to the results of just one of the 1,200 graft procedures.

I also have had previouly transplanted grafts shed and not grown back. From what I have read online Shockloss hairs will regrow if they were not programmed to miniturized and shed, therefore transplanted grafts would regrow.

In the area that I suffered previously transplanted graft loss, I have a few grafts in a patch that never shed and continued to grow, not as many hairs as was lost though. I also have a few of those types of grafts on the other side but not in a patch, more single strands, here and there.

I did not have any noticable shockloss with either of my first two HT's.

After 10 years I have never seen my scar, I can just feel it. My hair is about 10" long and pretty much covers up the area. I do know that I only have one scar and for the 2nd and 3rd ht they used the scar line to cut on. Your scar looks like it is above your ears. My scar is a lot lower and runs inbetween my ears.

MCS,

I know exactly how you feel. I too have had 3 ht procedures. The first 2 were done in 2002 and 2003 and were both 1,200 grafts. As schedules the grafts shed, sprouted, grow, thickend and matured. I just hit the 10 month mark of my 3rd HT of 2,600+ grafts and do not see anything close to the results of just one of the 1,200 graft procedures.

I also have had previouly transplanted grafts shed and not grown back. From what I have read online Shockloss hairs will regrow if they were not programmed to miniturized and shed, therefore transplanted grafts would regrow.

In the area that I suffered previously transplanted graft loss, I have a few grafts in a patch that never shed and continued to grow, not as many hairs as was lost though. I also have a few of those types of grafts on the other side but not in a patch, more single strands, here and there.

After 10 years I have never seen my scar, I can just feel it. My hair is about 10" long and pretty much covers up the area. I do know that I only have one scar and for the 2nd and 3rd ht they used the scar line to cut on. Your scar looks like it is above your ears. My scar is a lot lower and runs inbetween my ears.

Hey Mate,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Have you talked to your surgeon and what is he saying about it? How close together were your surgeries? I am hoping the best for you but more information if your willing to share may be helpful. Take care, Michael

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

MCS,

What has your surgeon said about this???

@MichaelJames My HT's 2002 for 1,200 grafts exactly a year later in 2003 for another 1,200 grafts and in 2011 for 2,600 grafts

@MCS Right before my 8th month mark I emailed over my pictures to the founder / owner of the clinic so they are aware of my situation. I was emailed back they would revisit this issue at my 12 month mark. The 12 month mark is fine if I had sprouts and fine hairs and was waiting for them to thicken and mature, but I don't. I see my 12 months being the same as the 10 month marks and the 8 month mark.

I had my third this May and my scar is the same on the right hand side.

My theory is that the staples started on the left side and moved right. There was more skin and play ar the beginning and when you closed up, things got tighter. Its like a jacket with a jumper , its easy at the bottom but after closing over that belly and chest, it fills out and gets tight.

So tight closure causes more shock loss and wider scar.

I had my third this May and my scar is the same on the right hand side.

My theory is that the staples started on the left side and moved right. There was more skin and play ar the beginning and when you closed up, things got tighter. Its like a jacket with a jumper , its easy at the bottom but after closing over that belly and chest, it fills out and gets tight.

So tight closure causes more shock loss and wider scar.

That a plausible theory. The question then is whether the hairs eventually grow back from the shock loss. :confused:

Yes - my shock less was nasty. I took a picture and sent it to the Clinic. The doc suggested Biotin to speed up growth , I was already taking MSM. That really did the trick for me. All the areas affected have grown back outside of the scar. As it was a tight closure, it was not a tricho so I guess I might have to FUE into scar or have the Tattoo dots !

Yes - my shock less was nasty. I took a picture and sent it to the Clinic. The doc suggested Biotin to speed up growth , I was already taking MSM. That really did the trick for me. All the areas affected have grown back outside of the scar. As it was a tight closure, it was not a tricho so I guess I might have to FUE into scar or have the Tattoo dots !

That's good to know. I have been taking 15mg biotin, MSM, saw palmetto, Vit A, P5P, omega 3s, C, E, zinc, NAC, choline, and a ton of other stuff. I will be adding niacin as well. My hair grows pretty fast.

Did you know your doc didn't do tricho at the time you had your procedure?

@MichaelJames My HT's 2002 for 1,200 grafts exactly a year later in 2003 for another 1,200 grafts and in 2011 for 2,600 grafts

@MCS Right before my 8th month mark I emailed over my pictures to the founder / owner of the clinic so they are aware of my situation. I was emailed back they would revisit this issue at my 12 month mark. The 12 month mark is fine if I had sprouts and fine hairs and was waiting for them to thicken and mature, but I don't. I see my 12 months being the same as the 10 month marks and the 8 month mark.

Hello Bluebird,

Well, clearly the shock loss indicates that your body's immune response is different then the previous surgeries. Our immune system adapts, changes and does not respond the same throughout the course of our life. What have your physicians said to this point. Have you had your 12mo. consult with them?

Michael James is a Patient Advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi, who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network; and not a physician. Visit Us On: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | LinkedIn

Comments give here are only for intellectual consideration and in no manner to be construed or accepted as medical advice. It is important to seek the advice of a physician in all medical circumstances including hair restoration, dietary or others directly or indirectly related to the subjects in this forum

@MichaelJames

I would not consider my loss as shockloss. From my understanding shockloss is either hairs that are not programmed to miniturize fall out and then regrow or hairs that miniturize and not regrow. Since mine were previously transplanted grafts that Dr. Sword transplanted in 2002 and 2003 i expected them to grow back months ago.

Why would previously transplanted grafts fallout and not regrow? The only explanation I can find is the follicles was damaged during the hair transplant.

Since there are grafts that were done in 2011 that did not shed and continue to grow in the same area where I lost previously transplanted grafts, the suggestion of immune system seems unlikely as the grafts would have shed and not regrown along with the previously transplanted grafts.

Edited by Bluebird

@MichaelJames

I would not consider my loss as shockloss. From my understanding shockloss is either hairs that are not programmed to miniturize fall out and then regrow or hairs that miniturize and not regrow. Since mine were previously transplanted grafts that Dr. Sword transplanted in 2002 and 2003 i expected them to grow back months ago.

Why would previously transplanted grafts fallout and not regrow? The only explanation I can find is the follicles was damaged during the hair transplant.

Since there are grafts that were done in 2011 that did not shed and continue to grow in the same area where I lost previously transplanted grafts, the suggestion of immune system seems unlikely as the grafts would have shed and not regrown along with the previously transplanted grafts.

Hi Bluebird,

I understand your frustration. It is important to point out that your transplanted hairs are ones that are exactly as you mentioned; hairs not programmed for miniaturization and they can be susceptible to shock loss. At this point I really think you should get a second medical opinion. All the Best, Michael

@MichaelJames,

I am definately going to have a second opinion on my results. I have spent the past 3 months constantly on this and other websites trying to find answers to my questions. I want to know why I am experiencing a BIG time hair transplant failure, with very low yield, after I have had 2 successful HT with a different doctor. I keep reading online the reason for most HT failures are either caused by the doctor or the techs. I want to know why most of grafts that I do see growing are the one's that never shed. Out of the grafts that never shed most are in the area where I had lost previously transplanted grafts.

I haven't had my haircut in over a year and in July I personally trimmed about 1/2" off the top. It would be easy for any Doctor to access my 3rd transplant. Long hairs were there before HT, short hairs are either, shock loss and natural regrowth of hair or transplanted hairs growing.

I would have never thought a year after having 2,600+ grafts transplanted I would be wondering where my priceless, irreplaceable grafts are. Then coming to the realization that I have wasted the last year and that I am going to have to have a 4th hair transplant to accomplish what the 3rd should have....

@MichaelJames,

I am definately going to have a second opinion on my results. I have spent the past 3 months constantly on this and other websites trying to find answers to my questions. I want to know why I am experiencing a BIG time hair transplant failure, with very low yield, after I have had 2 successful HT with a different doctor. I keep reading online the reason for most HT failures are either caused by the doctor or the techs. I want to know why most of grafts that I do see growing are the one's that never shed. Out of the grafts that never shed most are in the area where I had lost previously transplanted grafts.

I haven't had my haircut in over a year and in July I personally trimmed about 1/2" off the top. It would be easy for any Doctor to access my 3rd transplant. Long hairs were there before HT, short hairs are either, shock loss and natural regrowth of hair or transplanted hairs growing.

I would have never thought a year after having 2,600+ grafts transplanted I would be wondering where my priceless, irreplaceable grafts are. Then coming to the realization that I have wasted the last year and that I am going to have to have a 4th hair transplant to accomplish what the 3rd should have....

Did any of your docs do a series of 50X sectional photos of your scalp to see if there were any post-op transplanted hairs sprouting? If not, have the doc doing the 2nd opinion do it, as there is no way to see anything with the naked eye. I go in and have them done every 4 months post-op to track progress, especially when I've had three procedures. I just recently went in this week and saw the latest results which do show some smaller dia. hairs just starting to sprout. The doc agreed that it takes longer on multiple procedures because of the vascular compromise (less blood) and repeated scarring from graft incisions. I will post if I get the pics.

Here are my latest post-op photos as compared to pre-op taken in the doc's office.

I still get shocked and say where are my grafts???

Tell me what you think based on my concerns.

rear-pre.jpg.16adba33887017a5ff6942d0460a4914.jpg

rear-post.jpg.916610769bf18d6bc57e7b5fed2c1766.jpg

crown-pre.jpg.78d7d010919b9931e827b11c67f8eca8.jpg

crown-post.jpg.189ef01544d803fd83d1f8bcf672b610.jpg

side-pre.jpg.2fe55a2993f6e53253cf32b748202e61.jpg

side-post.jpg.b300c89642e64811ff1f2813d6673349.jpg

Edited by MCS

Had follow-up appt. w/ doc today to address the above concerns:

- he did agree that the scar line widened for some reason on procedure #3, despite using the tricho closure method, although I still retain scalp laxity.

- he did use epinephrine with the local anesthetic (this is reported to help reduce shock loss and bleeding).

- he did agree that the scalp trauma of multiple procedures most likely has retarded growth.

- he advised to check back in 4 mos. (1-year follow-up) to evaluate further growth.

I am not as concerned about the scar line, as even with the cut I just got (the shortest AI would eve wear my hair), you cannot see any scar. My main concern is the remaining thin crown and side areas.

Has anyone heard of this new hair replication method, RepliCell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnZ6OJagUN8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG4Jz88IuB8&feature=relmfu