confusion regarding finasteride dosage

suhas89

hi guys,im new here.ive been stalking this forum for weeks now and today i finally decided to join.

i'm a 23yr old male.my hair has never been much dense but about an year back,i started noticing thinning at the vertex(i had no hairfall back then).not sure whom to consult,i started going to rich feel and they gave me a bunch of tablets(serenoa complex and bio minerals),hair oil and a shampoo,all very expensive and all containing saw palmetto.

the 1st 4-5 months of treatment was pretty good.i experienced no hair-fall and the thinning was more or less in control.

but about 2 months back,i started noticing strands of hair everywhere,on my table,on my pillow,on my hairbrush etc..and whenever i stroke my hair there are at least 1-2 strand in my hand.i consulted my doc and he told me its stressed induced hairfall and it would stop in a month.but it didnt,plus i have a feeling that it has accelerated.my hair count has visibly reduced.even the new hair is falling out.rich feel doctors have not been able to stop/slow it down.

im freaking out.at this rate i'l go bald in max 2 years.my family history is really bad.both my grandfathers(from both my parents side) were bald.my dad is 52 and almost bald.my uncles are balding

from a little looking around ive come to know that saw palmetto sucks.so ive decided to start using dr.reddys mintop(5% minoxidil),finasteride and nizoral shampoo.

but i have some confusion regarding finasteride dosage.some members here recommend 5mg tablets (broken into 4 pieces) daily while other say 1mg(broken into 2) daily.which one should i take??..and are there different versions of nizoral shampoo??..which one should i use??

please help me out guys,im really freaking out :(

Hey Suhas,

Sad to hear you gettin duped by richfeel.

Anyway I am using Fin 1 mg which is the recommended dose. ( 5mg broken into 4 =1.25 mg is cost effective in US because propecia is quite expensive there). I use 2% Nizral twice weekly and X-gain shampoo rest of the days. I am also on Minox 5%.

In any case, the best way to clear you doubts would be to visit a reputed doc in your area. This way he can also follow your progress and guide you accordingly.

I am using Finax 1 mg & Tugain 5% gel every day.

Finding good doc is tough I agree. Just check their credentials and results if possible.

For me honesty is the biggest thing. Dishonest doc is the worst thing that can happen to anybody, and believe me they are aplenty. Take your time in deciding your doc. Most often its a lifetime bond.

All the best in your search.

• 2 weeks later...

I am taking this by cutting each pill into 4th's and taking 1/4 every other day.

Is this basically Propecia?

This is what the bottle says.

FINASTERIDE 5MG TABLETS

mfg Aurobindo - Substituted for Proscar 5mg tablets

ronzues,

Propecia is 1mg. Most guys will quarter the 5mg pill and take it daily, resulting in 1.25mg. The difference is negligible. However, others (like you) will take it every other day or even MWF if they wish to take a lower dose.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Vinit.

I started off by taking 1mg finsteride over a week. so that 0.25mg 4 times a week. I noticed the sideeffects almost immediately but kept taking the same dose for 2 months. i stopped taking it in dec 2014 when i realized the sides weren't going away. Its been 9 months now and i still havent fully recovered. i think my erections are harder now but they still arent what they used to be before i started taking the pills. and sometimes i get soft erections. i have regular sex though although my libido has definitely gone down. so my advice, be careful with those meds.