Has anyone had there scar tattooed?! Do you have before/after pics?

I did speak to Dr. Shapiro over the phone about the different options that I can do. I will keep you all posted on this.. Since Dr. Shapiro is considering doing SMP at The Shapiro Medical Group in the near future I may wait until they learn how to do SMP.. I also may have a scar revision in the winter time.. I would have to wait until the winter due to the fact that I do alot of running, weight lifting, and training in the summer.. I would want to take at least 2 months off from working out to have a revision.. I know that I said in a earlier post that I kinda frowned about having a scar revision-but this may be the best move to get a smaller scar-it is a gamble. We shall see how I feel about this in the winter.. Hopefully by September Shapiro Medical Group learns the SMP technique and does it well.. I would have to see the results. I also want to see more results from Milena from Beauty Medical.. Hopefully she gets on the Hair Restoration Network.. That would be great if she posted her before/after photos of her work on this forum.. Another option that I have would to fue body hair into my scar as well.. I hope that Spex takes plenty of before and after photos when he gets his scar filled by Milena at Beauty Medical..

Formertrackstar

Edited by formertrackstar

Formertrackstar,

One thing to keep in mind... SMP, the way Beauty Medical appears to practice it, is an art. I'm sure it's taken Milena a number of years of daily practice dedicated solely to her technique to become as proficient as she is. Even if Dr. Shapiro discovers a natural talent for SMP and brings the technology back to the states, he will probably be unable to reproduce Milena's level of proficiency for quite some time. Part of the reason is micropigmentation is probably all Milena does day-in, day-out, whereas Dr. Shapiro would be juggling SMP with his surgeries. The other option would be for Dr. Shapiro to hire a full-time and very skilled SMP practitioner trained and recommended by Milena.

If all goes well with Spex (and I assume it will), then you may consider a nice trip to Italy.

z

Formertrackstar,

One thing to keep in mind... SMP, the way Beauty Medical appears to practice it, is an art. I'm sure it's taken Milena a number of years of daily practice dedicated solely to her technique to become as proficient as she is. Even if Dr. Shapiro discovers a natural talent for SMP and brings the technology back to the states, he will probably be unable to reproduce Milena's level of proficiency for quite some time. Part of the reason is micropigmentation is probably all Milena does day-in, day-out, whereas Dr. Shapiro would be juggling SMP with his surgeries. The other option would be for Dr. Shapiro to hire a full-time and very skilled SMP practitioner trained and recommended by Milena.

If all goes well with Spex (and I assume it will), then you may consider a nice trip to Italy.

z

Zenmunk,

You are completely right about that.. It is an art and it would take years and years to master it.. I've never been to Italy-but we'll see how Spex turns out with Melina from Beauty Medical... I would love to visit Italy.. I hope it goes well with him.. His head has been through alot.. He deserves a great job..

Zenmunk,

You are completely right about that.. It is an art and it would take years and years to master it.. I've never been to Italy-but we'll see how Spex turns out with Melina from Beauty Medical... I would love to visit Italy.. I hope it goes well with him.. His head has been through alot.. He deserves a great job..

The thing is, you are watching one patient with minimal scarring, you need to see ten plus results at least ten months post op. A minor procedure on someone who has minimal scarring with very good hair in the area is not the best candidate to promote.

You need someone who has exposed scarring or baldness that an be seen, why have this done if you have great hair unless you plan to buzz right down which defeats the whole scenario of having hair transplantation.

Here are some things to consider regarding the permanent tattooing of scar tissue:

1. It is time consuming. Depending on the individual's skin or scar texture, a single line may require two or more passes with the needle before it takes.

2. It can be and often is more painful than the average tattoo. Scar tissue is very sensitive since the nerve endings are closer to the "new skin" (unless the nerve ends were destroyed when the damage occurred).

3. Once set within the scar, black ink will stay. Colored ink can be set within the tissue; however, it may bleed or fade from the skin, and this possibility should be anticipated, but not expected. There is always a slight possibility that the black ink may blot or run beneath the tissue, but if a very fine line is used this problem can be virtually eliminated.

4. It may be a good idea to have a small test area done first to determine if your skin will accept the pigment before committing to a larger session.

5. Last but certainly not least, it is very important that the scar tissue be at least one year old before tattooing is attempted (the older the scar, the better). Destroyed tissue takes a long time to heal, so the older the scar, the better it will take the pigment.

It may be that all 5 points apply to temporary tattooing as well to some degree. However, the advantage of temporary SMP is that it's temporary. If things do not go well, you are not stuck with it for life.

Beauty Medical's site says the optical effect could begin to decline from the sixth to eighth month post treatment. After two years, not a trace will remain. Therefore, one will have to get regular touch-ups to maintain the optimum illusion consistently. My guess is once per year on average, but that will vary from patient-to-patient.

If one has the desire and resources, then it's much safer to experiment with temporary SMP. Spex and others are bringing attention to Beauty Medical's services. As a result, many more people, at varying stages of hair loss, will undoubtedly try it out. We will get more reports about their experiences in time. It has to start somewhere.

SMP (permanent or temporary) for strip and FUE scars is not like the typical tattoo design applied to a different kind of scar. SMP are small "dots" which resemble zero guard hair, not elaborate designs with multiple colors. Also, the scars which are left after strip and FUE are controlled. They're usually better, smaller, tighter scars when done by a good doctor. Consequently, perhaps there is a better chance of success with SMP on strip/FUE scar tissue. That's just a guess, though.

Here are some things to consider regarding the permanent tattooing of scar tissue:

1. It is time consuming. Depending on the individual's skin or scar texture, a single line may require two or more passes with the needle before it takes.

2. It can be and often is more painful than the average tattoo. Scar tissue is very sensitive since the nerve endings are closer to the "new skin" (unless the nerve ends were destroyed when the damage occurred).

3. Once set within the scar, black ink will stay. Colored ink can be set within the tissue; however, it may bleed or fade from the skin, and this possibility should be anticipated, but not expected. There is always a slight possibility that the black ink may blot or run beneath the tissue, but if a very fine line is used this problem can be virtually eliminated.

4. It may be a good idea to have a small test area done first to determine if your skin will accept the pigment before committing to a larger session.

5. Last but certainly not least, it is very important that the scar tissue be at least one year old before tattooing is attempted (the older the scar, the better). Destroyed tissue takes a long time to heal, so the older the scar, the better it will take the pigment.

It may be that all 5 points apply to temporary tattooing as well to some degree. However, the advantage of temporary SMP is that it's temporary. If things do not go well, you are not stuck with it for life.

Beauty Medical's site says the optical effect could begin to decline from the sixth to eighth month post treatment. After two years, not a trace will remain. Therefore, one will have to get regular touch-ups to maintain the optimum illusion consistently. My guess is once per year on average, but that will vary from patient-to-patient.

If one has the desire and resources, then it's much safer to experiment with temporary SMP. Spex and others are bringing attention to Beauty Medical's services. As a result, many more people, at varying stages of hair loss, will undoubtedly try it out. We will get more reports about their experiences in time. It has to start somewhere.

SMP (permanent or temporary) for strip and FUE scars is not like the typical tattoo design applied to a different kind of scar. SMP are small "dots" which resemble zero guard hair, not elaborate designs with multiple colors. Also, the scars which are left after strip and FUE are controlled. They're usually better, smaller, tighter scars when done by a good doctor. Consequently, perhaps there is a better chance of success with SMP on strip/FUE scar tissue. That's just a guess, though.

You the man.. Thanks

1) One more reason not to revise a scar and then SMP is that the scar will continue to change in characteristics - crucially, including coloration for a long and unpredictable period of time. (don't forget the revision will lengthen the scar too)

2) I agree with Dr. Shapiro about beard hair, as far as pale skin is concerned. With black skin, I think it is great. But it can be like putting concrete pillars in the rose garden. It"s still agreat resource, but I think other BHT would be better.

The ink thing is a farce. GLI secrecy is understandable, but also a farce. The prices are simply market driven.

Remember that depth.

Shallow - HIS

Medium - NHI

Deeper - GLI (AC?)

At least that was from my persepective of research late last year. It could change.

Re tools: I have written several times about AC (artisty concept"s) patent-pending tool. (of course "patent-pending" is a useful marketing slogan and of limited value to us) The tool can be seen on teh web anywhere.

Scar5.. Thanks for the info.. Much appreciated..

formertrackstar,

I'd have to say that your scar is not great but it not hopelessly bad either. Of course, it's very revealing with your short hair style and with 3 surgeries it's going to be wider than most. I actually think my scar is a little wider than yours and I am planning on getting a revision in the coming year or so.

Here are your options:

1) Longer hair styles. Don't go use clippers to cut your hair - go to a stylist. Preferably the same one regularly so you don't have to keep explaining yourself.

2) Start doing scalp exercises religiously to loosen up a donor area in preparation for a scar revision. I would consider this option if I were you.

3) FUE to camouflage the scar. Yield might be a little lower due to the scar tissue.

4) Tattoo the scar. Still too many unknowns for me personally (color, fading, smudging, touch-ups, etc.).

I would talk with Janna, Zup, and Dr. Ron about these options. SMG has had a few patients get the inking done so it's not completely out of the picture for you. Just be careful. You don't want to bring about a whole new set of issues while trying to resolve another one.

Thanks Arron.. Much appreciated..