HT, Rogaine & Finasteride...all at once...please advise.

I had an HT back in December. About a month later, I started using Rogaine (one application a day, at night, over my entire recipient area (crown, forelock, hairline). About a month after that, I began taking Proscar (using Dr. Wong's suggested every-other-day method).

I have never used either Rogaine or Finasteride. I did have some concerns about starting them until my recent HT grew in, but I thought it may help with regrowth/yield and help in the preservation of my exisiting hair.

I am now about a month into my Proscar usage, and I am noticing quite a bit of shedding taking place. I did not notice any significant shedding on the Rogaine after the first month, or into the 2nd month (as I began Proscar).

Here are my questions:

Was it foolish to start these meds for the first time while in the midst of an HT regrowth period?

Does this shedding timeline seem normal?

How long does the shedding period typically last and when will I begin noticing the benefits of the meds?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Under Construction,

I do not think that it was foolish start them with a HT, It may have helped a bit to be on this 2-4 weeks earlier, but it still helps. You should have maybe waited a couple of weeks after your HT for Rogaine to keep it out of the scabs, but it seems to have worked for you. The shedding you explained sounds normal. I would recommend speaking to the Dr again because the majority of Dr's (as well as the medication producers) recommend taking 1 propecia (or 1/4 proscar) everyday and Rogaine twice a day. This is at first (about the first year or so) before moving to every other day.

John