graft scarring

I am 29 and currently shave my head. I look okay with a shaved head but I am thinking of doing surgery. I have heard that if I go through with the procedure, the scarring from the grafts will make it so that I would not be able to shave my head in the future. Is there any truth to that?

kj777,

Shaving your head after hair transplant surgery will reveal a scar but the main concern is not where the follicular unit grafts were implanted but rather the donor area.

Patients that have follicular unit transplantation (FUT), also known as "strip" surgery will have a linear scar stretching from side to side across the back of the head.

Some mistakenly believe that follicular unit extraction (FUE) is "scarless" and will allow them to shave their head. However, while FUE may allow a patient to wear a very close cropped hairstyle without exposing any scarring, shaving bald will likely reveal some scarring.

Best of luck,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website