really need some help, thanks

chin_up

hey!im new here but am pleased i found this site!

i am 23 and already receding, i am by no means bald but my dad is and has been bald all my life. it dosent affect him at all. but it will me as i have scars on my scalp from a childhood car crash.

my question is this, if i start hair transplants when im still receding...dose it mean il have to keep goining back until all my receding is finished. really not sure how they go about it, or do u need to have stopped receding before they can treat you.

many thanks

greg

Greg,

You and your doc will establish a lifetime plan.

I suffer from frontal baldness. The doc fixed my entire receding hairline and thinning hair in the front. Even though I had hair in the front, he shaved it down and densely-packed graphs anyway.

My mid-frontal region was thinning and would eventually be doomed. Maybe not today, maybe not next year, or in five years. But it would eventually leave for good.

Thus, a good transplant doc will anticipate many years ahead for you. Hope this helps.

Ron

get on propecia. it will maintain the hair you still have..

I find comments like this less than helpful. We are talking about the rest of chin_up's life. Propecia does prevent further hair loss in 90% of males over an observable period of 1-2 years. Many people on this site report that it has been effective for them over a longer period than that. However, others also report that after finding it effective for a few years the effects wear off. It is available via prescription although many gp's may be unwilling to prescribe it. This is because it can cause other side effects. Propecia (chemical name finasteride) was originally developed to fight prostate cancer. Search around this site and you will see many reported side effects some of which are quite serious.

The bottom line is that yes you should plan as though you will lose all that hair, although propecia could help you maintain it for many years.

I cannot stress strongly enough that you should not rush and do not assume that a HT is necessarily the solution. Some people on this site report that a good one has had a positive effect on their lives but others with bad experiences have reported extremely negative reactions much worse than they had experienced through just losing their hair.