Belgium vs Turkey

Albion71

Hi all, and may I first thank everyone who has contributed on here, which is a huge help to anyone research HTs.

I am planning to go ahead with an HT this year, but I am undecided between two surgeons, and wondered if anyone on this board could help me with a final decision.

I live in London, and my research has led me to a final shortlist of two, who both seem to have excellent reputations: Dr. Melike Kulahci from Transmed in Istanbul; and Dr. Bisanga from BHR in Belgium.

Transmed are cheaper, by about 2,500 Euros, but BHR has the advantage of being much closer.

I've had a consultation with Dr Bisanga, and read many good reviews of BHR. I've not had a consultation with Dr Kulahci (just spoke to a patient consultant via the phone), but the reviews of Transmed are generally glowing.

I've had three consultations in all, with different surgeons, and think I am a good candidate for an HT. I am probably going for strip surgery, aiming for about 2,800 to 3,000 grafts, transplanting to the top of the head and bringing forward the hairline around the temples a few millimetres.

I'm aged 38, currently about a Norwood 3, and use various hairloss medications, including finasteride. But the steady hairloss I have experienced since my early 20s, plus family history, makes me think I will probably end up a Norwood 6-7 in 10 to 15 years, even with these medications.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Albion71

I had a HT using FUT with Transmed last May - I had 3172 grafts.

I am early forties, around Norwood 3/4 and like you tried stuff such as Propecia and Regaine with minimal results. Then I tried Dutas which is a generic but that was not great either. Then discovered AVODART - those tell tale hairs in the shower cubicle and on the comb have virtually stopped.

Once stabilised , I decided to gain what I lost - so I went for a HT. Gone 10 months and come on nicely. Scar has healed very well. Crown a little slower then the hairline but they say that is common.

Do a search for my posts where I have described my experience.

ps - I went to Transmed and it cost me about ??160 for flights, accomodation, food etc...so dont let distance put you off.

I know you have decided on these two doctors But do not let DISTANCE or COST finalise your decision.

I had a surgery with Dr Path based on many many great patient reviews here.

I would advise you to do more research.

Thanks both for your feedback, much appreciated.

Mop, glad to hear you're pleased with progress from the Transmed HT. I have asked for Dr. Melike Kulahci but sounds like you were happy with Dr Emirali.

I also tried Avodart, which killed my libido, and then a generic Dutasteride, which didn't - but neither stopped my hairloss. Dang. Now going to give Saw Palmetto a go, but kind of resigned to not finding a drug that will stop my hairloss.

Ultimate - hope your recovery is going well. I was in Thailand over xmas and it's a great place. I never considered the idea of surgery out there though - maybe I should have.