getting scary, shedding for a while need some input plz

RedSC

hey guys, Ive been taking proscar for about 2 months now...before I took the medicine i was already losing hair in the shower maybe around 20 then i started taking proscar and more started falling out and hasnt stopped since...my hair has gotten thin enough on one side of my temple to the point where my scalp and follicles are visible, only one side though...has anyone experienced anything like this? should or can shedding last this long? if it gets bad enough ill go see the doc but i just wanna hear from you guys first...im turning 20

hey guys, Ive been taking proscar for about 2 months now...before I took the medicine i was already losing hair in the shower maybe around 20 then i started taking proscar and more started falling out and hasnt stopped since...my hair has gotten thin enough on one side of my temple to the point where my scalp and follicles are visible, only one side though...has anyone experienced anything like this? should or can shedding last this long? if it gets bad enough ill go see the doc but i just wanna hear from you guys first...im turning 20

• 1 month later...

dont have many answers but im in somewhat of a similar situation

i'm 19, and for the past few years my hairs been pretty long and very thick, then all of a sudden 4 months ago i noticed a good amount of hair coming out in the shower and over the course of the day

i was concerned cuz most in my family are bald and knew i was going to go bald at somepoint, i just didnt think it would be this early...i went to a doc to see if it actually was MPB or something else, the doc said it looked like MPB and put me on propecia, ive been on it for about 2 and a half months now and have experienced serious shedding (and since my hair is longer, when hairs fall out in the shower and on my clothes, its a lot more noticable)

at this point, im sure most people going through MPB would kill to have my hair, but like you said, its getting really scary considering how much its thinned in such a short period of time

like i said, i dont really have any answers unfortunately, i just came here to see if other people did

Guest Cousin_It

It appears both of you are pretty much in the same situation. When hair loss begins at such a young age it can be pretty aggressive and a precursor of a high Norward stage.

Obviously you both have a high degree of follicle miniaturization noted by the amount of shedding you are going through. At this point your only option would be to continue using the Propecia through this period. Ultimately this will end and the new cycle of hair growth will begin. You will just have to be patient.

Have either of you considered adding Rogaine Foam to your regime. This can be very valuable at the onset of hair loss. Rogaine has proven 85% of users grew hair within 16 weeks. This may cause some additional shedding also due to its interuption of the hair cycle, so just be advised.

I would be as agressive as possible at your age. You may be lucky and possibly regrow all your lost hair when you catch it at an early stage.