Not using any medication to help hair growth

I had my HT on 7/7/2009 so it's been almost a month now. I haven't taken any kind of medication such as propecia to help with hair growth process. I'm wondering if it's a must to take those medications? what if i dont?

One more question realted to sport, when can i say it's safe to play sports after the HT? including let's say lifting wieghts at the gym.

I had my HT on 7/7/2009 so it's been almost a month now. I haven't taken any kind of medication such as propecia to help with hair growth process. I'm wondering if it's a must to take those medications? what if i dont?

One more question realted to sport, when can i say it's safe to play sports after the HT? including let's say lifting wieghts at the gym.

Not taking Propecia will not have any affect on the tranplanted hairs because they are permanent. But, hair loss is progessive and you are likely to lose more of your preexisting hair on top which could necesitate another procudure sooner than later. I did not want to take meds either but after my HT I figured that I may as well use every weapon in the arsenal to protect my investment and hopefully prolong the need for another procedure. At the end of the day, it's a personal choice but most docs will recommend Propecia and Rogaine as part of you daily routine.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Taking Propecia may save your existing hairs. That's about all there is to know. It may or may not work.

About working out, I was told to wait a few weeks before doing any real strenuous exercise. I happen to know a little bit about scars and from what I know, they take about a year to heal to the point where you won't notice it so much. However, weight lifting may pull on the skin where the donor scar is stitched together and that will make the scar look thicker.

I would wait a couple of months and try not to do anything where you put tension on the skin on the back of the head. I do some weight lifting too and I've learned that breathing correctly can help keep tension off the back of your head. If you hold your breath while lifting you could be worse off.

Well, that's just my opinion anyway.

Good luck!