Better Worded Question!

I left some important information out in my first post titled "Hair Replacement and HT Density". I wear a lace hair replacement and would like to hear from others out there that have worn them. I'm trying to figure out if when the HT was matured if the density was close to that of your hair replacement. I looked at the NW chart and I think I am a 5. My hair is very thick and each individual hair is "fat" so I'm told that will help with the illusion of density. I have a relatively narrow area directly on top of my head that is bald or very thin the exception would be a spot just in front of my crown where the hair still goes all the way across my head. I am currently attaching it with clips due to the HT and pulling it below the transplanted hairline in the font and using a water based glue. My doctor moved my hairline back a little to not only fit the age appropriateness but to save more hairs for other areas. I've always used the glue in the front for a very natural appearance but I used doubled sided sticky tape around the rest of the perimeter before the HT. My doctor told me he could get close to the same density but not as thick which was ok with me. I just don't want to have hair that looks like I am balding when the light hits it or it gets wet so that is my concern.

I am prepared to have another procedure but I will have to decide in the coming months which route to go. I had 2520 grafts in the first procedure and will have that many on the second. What I need to determine is will the next 2520 go in the front for more density or will they go on the crown? That is going to be a BIG decision for me. The guy that cuts my hair and provides me with my lace replacements has numerous clients that have gone in for hair transplants and many of them have the same predicament that I do and that is what to do with the remaining grafts on the second procedure. What my stylist says many of them have done is elected to use the remaining grafts to thicken up the front and then he makes them a small lace piece for the crown. He says it is totally undetectable and has a client he wants me to see.

I am thinking this might be the way to go if I don't think the first procedure got it thick enough. I have been wearing a replacement for almost 20 years so I am used to any maintenance and reducing it to something the size of a silver dollar will be a walk in the park. Of course I'd rather use them in the crown and be done with replacements if the front comes out thick enough. I've read on this site where crowns are really hard to do because of the swirl pattern and require more hair than the front and in most cases all one can hope for is a light dusting of hair. In ten years we will probably have hair cloning perfected (although who knows what it will cost) so theoretically I could go back and get the crown done then if I'm still worried about it. So, I guess I'm where many people have been before and in the next couple of months I need to figure out which road I'm going to take. Any feedback from anyone who has gone through this would be most appreciated. Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I left some important information out in my first post titled "Hair Replacement and HT Density". I wear a lace hair replacement and would like to hear from others out there that have worn them. I'm trying to figure out if when the HT was matured if the density was close to that of your hair replacement. I looked at the NW chart and I think I am a 5. My hair is very thick and each individual hair is "fat" so I'm told that will help with the illusion of density. I have a relatively narrow area directly on top of my head that is bald or very thin the exception would be a spot just in front of my crown where the hair still goes all the way across my head. I am currently attaching it with clips due to the HT and pulling it below the transplanted hairline in the font and using a water based glue. My doctor moved my hairline back a little to not only fit the age appropriateness but to save more hairs for other areas. I've always used the glue in the front for a very natural appearance but I used doubled sided sticky tape around the rest of the perimeter before the HT. My doctor told me he could get close to the same density but not as thick which was ok with me. I just don't want to have hair that looks like I am balding when the light hits it or it gets wet so that is my concern.

I am prepared to have another procedure but I will have to decide in the coming months which route to go. I had 2520 grafts in the first procedure and will have that many on the second. What I need to determine is will the next 2520 go in the front for more density or will they go on the crown? That is going to be a BIG decision for me. The guy that cuts my hair and provides me with my lace replacements has numerous clients that have gone in for hair transplants and many of them have the same predicament that I do and that is what to do with the remaining grafts on the second procedure. What my stylist says many of them have done is elected to use the remaining grafts to thicken up the front and then he makes them a small lace piece for the crown. He says it is totally undetectable and has a client he wants me to see.

I am thinking this might be the way to go if I don't think the first procedure got it thick enough. I have been wearing a replacement for almost 20 years so I am used to any maintenance and reducing it to something the size of a silver dollar will be a walk in the park. Of course I'd rather use them in the crown and be done with replacements if the front comes out thick enough. I've read on this site where crowns are really hard to do because of the swirl pattern and require more hair than the front and in most cases all one can hope for is a light dusting of hair. In ten years we will probably have hair cloning perfected (although who knows what it will cost) so theoretically I could go back and get the crown done then if I'm still worried about it. So, I guess I'm where many people have been before and in the next couple of months I need to figure out which road I'm going to take. Any feedback from anyone who has gone through this would be most appreciated. Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts