Questions

I am new to this forum and would appreciate specific answers to a few questions. I am 50 a realistic 3/3a on the Norwood scale with thick curly hair. I am receeding in the front only and have very good donor hair (thick at back). What is a reasonable amount to have transplanted to make the front look naturally defined with good coverage. I would like to be able to comb my hair back instead of forward and although no one has ever noticed I am thinning it is time to do somethign about it. Also, other questions are:

1. Does everyone experience shockloss? If so how much is normal and where does it lose it from and will it regrow?

2. Out of all the surgeons I ahve read about Shapiro and Wond seem to give the best results. Who is the best aesthetically and for the most natural finishes? If I were a movie actor doing many closeups who would i go to for best and most natural results? That would be my criteria to measure by.

3. I always thought that you didn't need to cut or shave existing hair to have a transplant but I notice many people doing it. Is it necessary as I would like to avoid people seeing or knowing?

4. Are there are after-surgery products that can promote better and faster healing and less shock loss?

4. The lateral incision seems to be the best from what I read. In your opinions what are the best prcedures used to maximize the natural finish and best aesthetics?

Sorry for the long emaila dn i ahve more questions that i will post later. Many thanks for responses to my questions.

I am new to this forum and would appreciate specific answers to a few questions. I am 50 a realistic 3/3a on the Norwood scale with thick curly hair. I am receeding in the front only and have very good donor hair (thick at back). What is a reasonable amount to have transplanted to make the front look naturally defined with good coverage. I would like to be able to comb my hair back instead of forward and although no one has ever noticed I am thinning it is time to do somethign about it. Also, other questions are:

1. Does everyone experience shockloss? If so how much is normal and where does it lose it from and will it regrow?

2. Out of all the surgeons I ahve read about Shapiro and Wond seem to give the best results. Who is the best aesthetically and for the most natural finishes? If I were a movie actor doing many closeups who would i go to for best and most natural results? That would be my criteria to measure by.

3. I always thought that you didn't need to cut or shave existing hair to have a transplant but I notice many people doing it. Is it necessary as I would like to avoid people seeing or knowing?

4. Are there are after-surgery products that can promote better and faster healing and less shock loss?

4. The lateral incision seems to be the best from what I read. In your opinions what are the best prcedures used to maximize the natural finish and best aesthetics?

Sorry for the long emaila dn i ahve more questions that i will post later. Many thanks for responses to my questions.

1) No, shock loss varies from person to person. Normally you will experience some, and it will usually grow back in 3-4 months, although hairs that were destined to die due to MPB and in their final stages are probably gone forever. It is generally in the recipient area. Many also experience it around the donar scar area.

2) Dr. Ron Shapiro is excellent. I'm not sure who you are referring to with "Wond". I think you had a typo there. There are quite a few doctors that will give excellent and very natural results. Hair transplants by these doctors are undetectable - Hasson, Ron Shapiro, Cooley, Keene, Rose and many others.

3) Some doctors prefer that you shave the recipient area. They have their reasons. Other doctors, like Dr. Keene (my doctor) will not require you to shave, also for valid reasons. I'll let the doctors argue about that.

4) The only thing that might prevent some shock loss is Propecia and Minoxidil. Healing tends to be pretty fast, so it's not something that you shoud be too worried about.

5) Some doctors swear by lateral slit incisions. Others feel that a combination of lateral and other incisions produce a more natural result. My doctor (Dr. Keene) does a combination depending on your particular characteristics and hair direction to achieve the most natural result. From what I have seen the lateral slit method allows for more density. It's a complicated argument and my advice is to consult with as many top doctors as possible and ask them about it.

Hope this helps

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Being back in the public eye fast was important to me. I was able to have my HT and back in action in 7-8 days totally undetectable. I have olive toned skin complextion and reddness was not a factor for me.

for some reddness will lingre for a few months, you can conseal it some, ( I think it was Gorphys post I read, you could use a little make up to cover it up) I agree with gorphy recommendations for docs, as well as many others. With your naked eye you could not tell I had a ht with a close inspection. It is unbelievable the advances they have made in this industry.

Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. Troy shows in his blog the results of using gel, flash photos, and wet hair and it looks like anyone with normal hair to me. Even the skin showing through is normal using gel and/or photography so I am impressed with his results.

I am close to deciding on which doctor to use and it is between Shapiro and Wong (not Wond). I don't have to get the hair done but I am thinning behind the hairline into midscalp so why accept it if there's no need to and I assume being 50 (although I am told I look 40 maximum, which doesn't hurt the ego too much) the chances of it lasting into my 60s or 70s when I probabaly won't give a darn is strong. Do either of you use minoxidil or propecia post procedure? Again thanks for your encouraging comments. It's good to hear what to expect and what type of procedures others recommend based on their specific experience because it allows a novice like myself to ask key questions and ensure I am using the best combination of procedures from the experts that craeted them. All the best.

If you have thick curly hair with a dense donor area it sounds like you are a perfect candidate especially if you are 50 an only a 3a.

I am 50 and also about a 3a and I had 1650 grafts by Dr. Cooley 4 months ago.I probably could have used closer to 2000 grafts but I preferred to proceed cautiously. It is still too soon for me to determine density at this point.

I am absolutely satisfied with the naturalness of the hair line so far,no one has noticed at all that I had a procedure done and i experienced no shockloss as of yet.

ZDr. Cooley gave me his own mixture to apply topically post-HT to speed up healing.

I think that nearly all reputable docs are using lateral slit or something similar.

A more relevant question might be to see what type of closure technique the doctors are using on the donor site.

Thanks Thinking....I am probably a 2a/3 and although I noticed a little thinning when I was 26 it progressed very slowly...thankfully. The way I style it being curly no one would think I am losing hair but it is time to fix it just for the freedom it offers ..... as well as the vanity I suppose. You are right the trich closure seems to be the preferred method I have read about on this forum. Is that still considered the best? Thanks again.

Hair, you can see my photo album here.

I think you'll agree that it is totally natural looking.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery