Why do some grafts fail?

I am currently 7 days post op and have been very pleased with all aspects of my surgery to date.

Thanks to research and the fantastic advice given by the posters on this forum, I have a fair idea of what to expect over the next 6 months.

My question involves the survival rate of grafts. Apart from the obvious problem of bumping or dislodging grafts, what other factors influence the survival rate of the grafts? My Dr said that I didn't have much bleeding during the surgery, is that necessarily a bad thing? I would have imagined that blood supply to the grafts would be the critical factor.

I am 42, in good health etc and am sure that I have sufficient blood supply to the recipient area. I know the thing to do is sit back, relax and let nature take its course. But basically, I want my little babies to be healthy, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what % of my grafts can I realistically expect to grow?

Cheers, Rocky

I am currently 7 days post op and have been very pleased with all aspects of my surgery to date.

Thanks to research and the fantastic advice given by the posters on this forum, I have a fair idea of what to expect over the next 6 months.

My question involves the survival rate of grafts. Apart from the obvious problem of bumping or dislodging grafts, what other factors influence the survival rate of the grafts? My Dr said that I didn't have much bleeding during the surgery, is that necessarily a bad thing? I would have imagined that blood supply to the grafts would be the critical factor.

I am 42, in good health etc and am sure that I have sufficient blood supply to the recipient area. I know the thing to do is sit back, relax and let nature take its course. But basically, I want my little babies to be healthy, so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what % of my grafts can I realistically expect to grow?

Cheers, Rocky

There are many factors that play a role in graft survival. Most of which cannot be controlled by the doctor or the patient. If the surgical procedure is performed properly and good post operative instructions are given, there should be between 95%-99% successful growth of the grafts. Not having excessive bleeding during the surgery has little bearing on your result, and does not mean you have poor blood supply. Once all the scabs have fallen out, there is not much you can do to change the outcome. Some have suggested a short term use of Rogaine to help prevent shock fallout and promote quicker hair growth. This is a debatable subject. Just be patient and confident and your results will come in due time.

Dr Charles

Thanks for the reply. Basically, I am just double checking that I am going about things the right way. I suppose I just needed a bit of reassurance that everything will be Okay. Thanks again.