HT long term results for MtF transitioning

My partner is currently undergoing the process of transitioning from male to female. One of her greatest concerns is the fact that she began losing her hair to male pattern baldness very early. She is currently 24 and is probably a Norwood 1 possibly a 2. While that might seem a critical amount of loss if she were remaining male; it is a tremendous issue for her transitioning to the female gender. She is currently on Proscar in addition to another anti-androgen and is taking estrogen and progesterone. While it is still too early to see if the proscar is going to keep her hair from thinning any further, she is still very conscious that her hairline looks more masculine than feminine at this point.

Our questions are:

1. When viewing hair transplant photos in general it looks as though the doctors don't transplant hair to the areas which concern her. In particular the areas just to the left and right of a center part. She has only had some minor thinning on the very front top of her head, however on both sides of the center part she has fairly deep recessions with no hair growth at all. In your experience is it possible to have transplants to those areas and what would be the reason that we do not see that area filled in on most "successful" HT photos?

2. It is our assumption that once she has had SRS that she will no longer require the Proscar since the main source of testosterone will be removed. Has anyone on the forum had any experience personally or with someone you know who is transgender as to how HT worked out for them?

You're help will be greatly appreciated.

Sandy

My partner is currently undergoing the process of transitioning from male to female. One of her greatest concerns is the fact that she began losing her hair to male pattern baldness very early. She is currently 24 and is probably a Norwood 1 possibly a 2. While that might seem a critical amount of loss if she were remaining male; it is a tremendous issue for her transitioning to the female gender. She is currently on Proscar in addition to another anti-androgen and is taking estrogen and progesterone. While it is still too early to see if the proscar is going to keep her hair from thinning any further, she is still very conscious that her hairline looks more masculine than feminine at this point.

Our questions are:

1. When viewing hair transplant photos in general it looks as though the doctors don't transplant hair to the areas which concern her. In particular the areas just to the left and right of a center part. She has only had some minor thinning on the very front top of her head, however on both sides of the center part she has fairly deep recessions with no hair growth at all. In your experience is it possible to have transplants to those areas and what would be the reason that we do not see that area filled in on most "successful" HT photos?

2. It is our assumption that once she has had SRS that she will no longer require the Proscar since the main source of testosterone will be removed. Has anyone on the forum had any experience personally or with someone you know who is transgender as to how HT worked out for them?

You're help will be greatly appreciated.

Sandy

I think I read once that the first time the correlation between testosterone and male pattern baldness was recognized had something to do with castration. If I recall correctly, it was observed that prisoners who were castrated always retained their hair; there may have been twins involved or something.

I saw a program once about a young guy who was in the process of sexual reassignment and had his receded hairline restored through some kind of scalp-flap surgery (not usually a good idea though). Point is, they gave him a female's hairline, so I think that either the hormone treatment or the actual SR surgery was probably supposed to eliminate the progression of balding.

I'm not an expert, but I think you're right about this. Once the testicles are removed, MPB should not be an issue. Dr. Epstein has posted transgender cases before, so maybe try emailing him.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website