Hair transplants - sure was easier in the old days

Scribe

I had several transplants procedures in the late 80s and early 90s - plugs, mini and micro grafts - in the crown of my scalp. The transplants were performed by a local dermatogist. Back then, about the only investigative work I did was make sure he wasn't involved in any lawsuits from unhappy transplant patients. I was completely naive to situations such as shock loss, nerve damage, lack of growth from plugs, etc. After the procedures I took off but a week from my usual exercise routine of hard six mile daily runs. Funny thing is, I was and still am estatic about the results from those old time hair transplants. And my donor area was baby fine hair.

Now at age 57, I'm about to have some work done on my hairline. Unfortunately, the doctor who performed by other procedures no longer does hair transplants. As a result I have consulted with some local doctors and read as much as possible on the innovations of transplants since the late 80s. But now I'm very apprehensive. I guess a little knowledge can be a bad thing - at least as compared with the past when I just naively had transplant after transplant thinking there never could be any problems - which there weren't.

One of the doctors I saw recently is one of the better known names in the FU field. What really bummed me out though is I felt he told me a tall tale. Because of my previous procdures there is no good donor area in the back of my scalp. That I believe as true. As such, the doctor told me he would have to take a strip from the side of my scalp. When I asked him how common it was to use the side of the scalp, he replied very common and it occurs in nearly 50% of his procedures.

Subsequent to that, both here and other venues I found it is not all that common to take from the side of the scalp. There are considerations (which he did not mention) such as the side of the scalp greys sooner and is often thinner. Luckily these are not problems in my case, but the damage was done as far as me feeling comfortable with my local doctor. I felt he was just telling me what I wanted to hear to just get a sale. Plus, he's an older guy and may not be practicing much longer. I would prefer a younger doctor who does his best in order to generate repeat business.

Anyway, next week I'm traveling 450 miles to consult with Dr. Cooley. I've heard some positive things about him.

I had several transplants procedures in the late 80s and early 90s - plugs, mini and micro grafts - in the crown of my scalp. The transplants were performed by a local dermatogist. Back then, about the only investigative work I did was make sure he wasn't involved in any lawsuits from unhappy transplant patients. I was completely naive to situations such as shock loss, nerve damage, lack of growth from plugs, etc. After the procedures I took off but a week from my usual exercise routine of hard six mile daily runs. Funny thing is, I was and still am estatic about the results from those old time hair transplants. And my donor area was baby fine hair.

Now at age 57, I'm about to have some work done on my hairline. Unfortunately, the doctor who performed by other procedures no longer does hair transplants. As a result I have consulted with some local doctors and read as much as possible on the innovations of transplants since the late 80s. But now I'm very apprehensive. I guess a little knowledge can be a bad thing - at least as compared with the past when I just naively had transplant after transplant thinking there never could be any problems - which there weren't.

One of the doctors I saw recently is one of the better known names in the FU field. What really bummed me out though is I felt he told me a tall tale. Because of my previous procdures there is no good donor area in the back of my scalp. That I believe as true. As such, the doctor told me he would have to take a strip from the side of my scalp. When I asked him how common it was to use the side of the scalp, he replied very common and it occurs in nearly 50% of his procedures.

Subsequent to that, both here and other venues I found it is not all that common to take from the side of the scalp. There are considerations (which he did not mention) such as the side of the scalp greys sooner and is often thinner. Luckily these are not problems in my case, but the damage was done as far as me feeling comfortable with my local doctor. I felt he was just telling me what I wanted to hear to just get a sale. Plus, he's an older guy and may not be practicing much longer. I would prefer a younger doctor who does his best in order to generate repeat business.

Anyway, next week I'm traveling 450 miles to consult with Dr. Cooley. I've heard some positive things about him.

The strip starts in the back and curves around the sides.

If your sides were never heavily used, then that is where the hair is. That seems normal. Look for some pictures of mega session donor area. I imagine if they were doing smaller sessions on you that they never fully used the sides.

Goog luck.

I've read that the sides of the head contain a higher percentage of 1's and 2's. It is a good place to get follicles for hairline work. I believe that this is one reason why the strip scar often goes from 'ear to ear'. That first doctor should have explained this to you. Dr Cooley sounds like a good choice however.

I think the reason you were happy with the old Plants was that they were put in your CROWN - the hairline is a whole different thing - It sounds like you have great donor hair though so with the right Doc should be fine...wishing you well