Is it feasible to go without medication?

Elysium

Hi, i'm currently 25 and have i think significant hairloss. I used rogaine very shortly in the past, but due to the negative feeling it left my scalp and the knowledge that if I ever stopped using it that the sustained hair would most assuredly leave, I decided to skip it and just let nature take it's course.

Currently, I am really not that happy with how it's looking. I was considering maybe HT surgery, but it looks like it might be better to wait for a few more year till going that option if I do it at all. Further it looks like that even after HT medication is still part of the solution.

The crux of the issue is this, I'm not really a medication guy. I know some may think it's silly, but modifcation of the internal chemistry for reasons besides disease isn't really my cup of tea. It's juvenille I know, and I'm sure everyone can post to 1000000 medical studies pointing to how it's all safe, but I want to be true to myself, and I know that I don't have the desire to comit lifelong to a medicine regiment to keep my hair.

My question then. Is it feasible to have a hairloss prevention/restoration strategy that doesn't involve medication? It seems to me after my limited research the best results include it. But I was wondering if there is any hope or I should just start learning to live au naturale ?

Hi, i'm currently 25 and have i think significant hairloss. I used rogaine very shortly in the past, but due to the negative feeling it left my scalp and the knowledge that if I ever stopped using it that the sustained hair would most assuredly leave, I decided to skip it and just let nature take it's course.

Currently, I am really not that happy with how it's looking. I was considering maybe HT surgery, but it looks like it might be better to wait for a few more year till going that option if I do it at all. Further it looks like that even after HT medication is still part of the solution.

The crux of the issue is this, I'm not really a medication guy. I know some may think it's silly, but modifcation of the internal chemistry for reasons besides disease isn't really my cup of tea. It's juvenille I know, and I'm sure everyone can post to 1000000 medical studies pointing to how it's all safe, but I want to be true to myself, and I know that I don't have the desire to comit lifelong to a medicine regiment to keep my hair.

My question then. Is it feasible to have a hairloss prevention/restoration strategy that doesn't involve medication? It seems to me after my limited research the best results include it. But I was wondering if there is any hope or I should just start learning to live au naturale ?

Unfortunately there is nothing recognized and proven effective short of the proven medications such as Propecia, Proscar and Avodart. Rogaine produces very light results and only in the crown area, in most cases you'll get just a fuzz growing back and it's a lifetime commitment, not worth it IMHO. I am sorry to say that the HT along with the drugs is the only guarantee, I also wished it were different, like you I am not a fan of medication especially when taken every day for life .... I take Propecia daily and plan to switch to 1/4 Proscar EOD.

Guest Cousin_It

Elysium...

While you have a valid reason for not wanting to be on any medications, the alternative is gradual progression of your hair loss. Not sure about you current condition or what the future may hold for you, but retaining as much hair as possible should be of paramount importance.

Should you decide to have a transplant in the future and obtain reasonable coverage it may require multiple procedures. Since your donor hair is limited depending on the state of balding you may not be able to achieve this if hair loss continues to progress.

While ultimately the decision is yours, I have to point out these possible problems so you can make an informed decision. Best of Luck!