How to take the best close ups?

JetFlyBoy

I have been documenting my progress from propecia and minoxidil, but I am not satisfied with my inability to take sharp, close-up photos. Any advice out there? I have seen some seriously up-close and crystal-clear shots of some scalps, but mine are only focued from a foot or so away.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Regimen: 1 propecia taken in the morning, 3 shots 5% minoxodil twice a day around the hairline, 1% Nizoral several times a week

I have been documenting my progress from propecia and minoxidil, but I am not satisfied with my inability to take sharp, close-up photos. Any advice out there? I have seen some seriously up-close and crystal-clear shots of some scalps, but mine are only focued from a foot or so away.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Regimen: 1 propecia taken in the morning, 3 shots 5% minoxodil twice a day around the hairline, 1% Nizoral several times a week

I recently took some photos that turned out pretty good. It doesn't take an expensive camera. I took them with my low end Nikon Coolpix 2100, set on max resolution (2 megapixel). If you are taking them yourself, you'll need a tripod.

I used the self timer. One problem you have to overcome is the focus and exposure. When you press the shutter release button half way down it focuses and sets the exposure. However, if you are not in front of the camera at that time, it will focus somewhere on the background. I solved this problem by holding an object in front of the camera at the same spot my head would be (about 2 feet out). Then press the shutter button down half way to allow it to adjust. Then take the picture, which in this case, starts the 10 second timer. I then run around and put my head in the correct position in front of the camera and let it take the picture. Keep in mind that this is not a macro lens setting or anything like that. It's just the normal picture taking mode. I also zoom in a little. This flattens out the picture and avoids the hourglass look. If the picture comes out sharp and focused at this distance (about 2 feet), you can load it into a picture editing software and zoom in a little more and crop it. Whala! You have a nice closeup.

Hope this helps.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by JetFlyBoy:

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

I got good results by taking the pictures outside in natural light without the flash - without expensive professional flash systems I found that the flash caused problems - mainly with the flash reflecting from my shiny scalp. My automatic Canon has three modes; macro mode being the one for close-ups.

PB_

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas. I am at my next scheduled photo session and will experiment with these ideas.

Jeff