Advodart question

matt8053

I read that it blocks two enzymes involved in the DHT conversion process. Does this mean it will work better then proscar? Does proscar only block one of the enzyems. If Advodart will give better results to someone that has already had good results with proscar than I'll give it a try. Thanks for any help.

Matthew

avodart blocks type I and II, and yes it gives better results, but along with that comes more side effects. I remember reading somewhere(it might of been a post on a forum so I have no clue how accurate it is) that 13% of men on avodart have side effects vs. 2% on proscar. Also the half-life on avodart is 6 months, meaning it stays in your body for a half a year, so do the side effects. So when you can't get it up, its gonna talk 6 months to recover, while if you are on proscar the half life is 2 weeks(??I think??) so you will be up and running very soon if you have side effects. I am seriously concidering avodart instead of proscar next time since I have no side effects but along with all of the above, I am more worried about this. Proscar(generic) I can get a 90 day supply(divided by four, thats over a year) for about $50, where as I can get a three month supply of advodart for a little over $300. I do know one thing, if advodart regrew every hair on my head I'd switch back to proscar after I regrew it. You think it would stick?

none

none

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh and to answer your question I don't think the newly grown hair would stick. My guess is that after you switch back to the proscar the enzyme that is not being blocked would re-attach itself to the hair follicle and begin destroying it again.

Matthew

if someone is allergic to proscar/propecia...would avodart be a viable alternative??? please let me know... I'm itchin all over and I'm pretty sure it's because of propecia...

thanks

• 1 month later...

So far I've been on Avodart about a little over 2 months, and must say, it's starting to work. No re-growth yet, but I was losing at least 25 hairs in average when I was on Propecia, now with Avodart at around 8, this is not exagerating! I count each and everyone of the hairs closely. I'm hardly not shedding any more!!! Let's see what happens in another month. I'll keep you guys posted. By the way, everyone is different. I've had no sexual side effects. Sex is just simply too overated, but I see no change in that, thankfully.