Does donor density decrease as we age?

notsohairy

If I am 40 now and a NW 5, what will likely happen to my donor density over the next 20 years? Even though donor hair is taken from the so called "permanent" zone, does the density decrease as one ages in that zone? If the answer is yes, then some of the transplanted hair is not "permanent" but will be lost from its new location on the front of my head, just as it would have been lost from my donor area as the density decreased. Is this correct?

If I am 40 now and a NW 5, what will likely happen to my donor density over the next 20 years? Even though donor hair is taken from the so called "permanent" zone, does the density decrease as one ages in that zone? If the answer is yes, then some of the transplanted hair is not "permanent" but will be lost from its new location on the front of my head, just as it would have been lost from my donor area as the density decreased. Is this correct?

Not being and expert, I would tend to agree that the idea of 'permanent' hair can be a little misleading.

I have often wondered about the same thing as I see some older men with fairly severe, in some cases, thinning in the 'non balding zones' at the back and sides of the head.

If someone is predisposed to this type of thinning, you would tend to think that both strip and FUE patients may end up with some problems.

But I suppose that, as a 70's plus guy when it happens, the chicks won't be too fussy !

Density probably does decrease in many and would be a problem to address.

BTW, once in my teens and twenties I thought hair probably wouldn't make a difference when I was in my an "elderly" 40's. (I am in my 40's now) I thought life and about everything else would be of little consequence by that time (my parent's age) anyway. Boy was I wrong!!

70's may seem that way to many now but I know one thing ... I didn't get a HT for the chicks ... I got it for me. :-)

Just a thought.

I think that it makes sense that some of the transplanted hair would fall out. At the same time it would make your recipient area look more natural for your age I guess. I guess I'll worry in 30-40 years, but then again, who knows maybe there will be nothing to worry about by that time.

South,we all get HT for ouselves of course.

We also probably get HT for ouselves so we feel more comfortable about the way others see us.

A very valid reason.

BTW,I was just making a throwaway comment about getting the chicks at 70 ish.

In reality, I am not that sad.