Well, tomorrow it is with Dr. Rahal...

Dirge

Well, here I am, getting ready to leave for Ottawa for my HT with Dr. Rahal tomorrow morning...approximately 2000 grafts to enhance the hairline and fill in a bit where I have receeded since my earlier HT's in the eighties and mid 90's. Nervous yes, not about the precedure per se, but more the recuperation phase in the few weeks after. I have taken the month of March off from work and can actually delay going back until after the first week of April. My question is this...within this timeframe, can I realistically expect that I can return to work in 3 to 4 weeks and not have anyone staring at my head...I have not told anyone aout this except my recently new girlfriend ("but I love you just the way you are") and my sweet neighbour (female) who has volunteered the first week to implement my post op procedures for me. Can I realistically expect by then to not be showing signs of the HT...I still have coverage but some of the grafts obviously will be in front of my existing hairline...my concern reflects that I just was appointed to a high profile government job which has me travelling around making pulic appearances and presentations, commencing again the first week of April...is it possible that I could be relatively normal by then?

Second question...once I get the stitches out I would like to see if we can get a last minute trip south the last week of March...with past HT's, I was told sun exposure was fine and that it would age the new skin (plugs) and help them be less noticable amongst my existing hair, however, I have heard with FUE I should avoid the sun and any potential for burning etc...is this other people's experiences? In fact, the post op instructions (and pre-op for that matter)seem much more strict and stringent than anything I remember from my old style surgeries...is everything really that much more delicate and fragile...in the mid nineties, they washed my hair the first post op day and I think I was washing my hair normally within a week and on a plane to Mexico while still a little black and blue...this time i am fearful of dislodging something just by unconsiously scratching my head.

And finally, I do tend to be a bit of a bleeder (bruise easily etc) and in the old days they wrapped your head in a turban bandage which was removed the second day...I believe I will be leaving Rahal's office with just a little surgical cap on and am worried if I start to bleed in the hotel overnight...does anyone still use the turban bandages and would it be reasonable to ask for one the first night just in case. Luckily, my girlfriend is going to Ottawa with me me but I don't want to freak her out, if you know what I mean (and I have followed the pre-op instructions, although prior to two weeks ago I did enjoy my wine and was taking the daily aspirin etc). Ok, my very last question...I would be interested in any tips etc on how to speed up the healing process...is it really a full month before you can take a regular shower,get your colour touched up even longer than that etc...what can I reasonably expect post-op and how can I ensure as much as possible that I can be fit for human consumption by the beginning of April?

As always your wisdom is appreciated...I am 24 hours out from a huge and uncertain journey and these are the things waking me up at night.

Thanks

Dirge

Well, here I am, getting ready to leave for Ottawa for my HT with Dr. Rahal tomorrow morning...approximately 2000 grafts to enhance the hairline and fill in a bit where I have receeded since my earlier HT's in the eighties and mid 90's. Nervous yes, not about the precedure per se, but more the recuperation phase in the few weeks after. I have taken the month of March off from work and can actually delay going back until after the first week of April. My question is this...within this timeframe, can I realistically expect that I can return to work in 3 to 4 weeks and not have anyone staring at my head...I have not told anyone aout this except my recently new girlfriend ("but I love you just the way you are") and my sweet neighbour (female) who has volunteered the first week to implement my post op procedures for me. Can I realistically expect by then to not be showing signs of the HT...I still have coverage but some of the grafts obviously will be in front of my existing hairline...my concern reflects that I just was appointed to a high profile government job which has me travelling around making pulic appearances and presentations, commencing again the first week of April...is it possible that I could be relatively normal by then?

Second question...once I get the stitches out I would like to see if we can get a last minute trip south the last week of March...with past HT's, I was told sun exposure was fine and that it would age the new skin (plugs) and help them be less noticable amongst my existing hair, however, I have heard with FUE I should avoid the sun and any potential for burning etc...is this other people's experiences? In fact, the post op instructions (and pre-op for that matter)seem much more strict and stringent than anything I remember from my old style surgeries...is everything really that much more delicate and fragile...in the mid nineties, they washed my hair the first post op day and I think I was washing my hair normally within a week and on a plane to Mexico while still a little black and blue...this time i am fearful of dislodging something just by unconsiously scratching my head.

And finally, I do tend to be a bit of a bleeder (bruise easily etc) and in the old days they wrapped your head in a turban bandage which was removed the second day...I believe I will be leaving Rahal's office with just a little surgical cap on and am worried if I start to bleed in the hotel overnight...does anyone still use the turban bandages and would it be reasonable to ask for one the first night just in case. Luckily, my girlfriend is going to Ottawa with me me but I don't want to freak her out, if you know what I mean (and I have followed the pre-op instructions, although prior to two weeks ago I did enjoy my wine and was taking the daily aspirin etc). Ok, my very last question...I would be interested in any tips etc on how to speed up the healing process...is it really a full month before you can take a regular shower,get your colour touched up even longer than that etc...what can I reasonably expect post-op and how can I ensure as much as possible that I can be fit for human consumption by the beginning of April?

As always your wisdom is appreciated...I am 24 hours out from a huge and uncertain journey and these are the things waking me up at night.

Thanks

Dirge

Relax dude! icon_cool.gif

I had a procedure with the good Dr. Rahal and was back at work within two weeks with no-one noticing a thing. Perhaps I am one of the lucky ones. After you have your stiches out, just buzz and even your hair out. Your grafts by that stage will be like small black hairs and should blend in fine with the rest. I used graftycte to help with the healing - worked wonders for me: no pinkiness whatsoever at the two weeks stage. (I think you can buy this at the surgery but it is expensive).

You needn`t worry about bleeding too much. You will be bandaged up when you leave the surgery and as long as you follow the post-op instructions you will be fine! I had no bleeding at all, just mild discomfort for the first couple of days. You will be back to ``normal`` by day 5 or so.

Please pass on my regards to Adrian and the Dr. Just tell them the gentleman from Spain says hello. The best of luck to you my friend. Enjoy the experience!