Questions...

I've been doing some research for a little while now and came across this site. First off, let me start by saying I am only 23 yrs old and have read some posts about being too young for HT's. I dont know what class I would be in (norwood 2,3,4) because I honestly dont know what the hell that means!

I guess my question is, if I'm already thin as hay on top and have the classic receding hairline can it get any worse?!?! A few more years and I'll be a cueball! Can HT docs place grafts in areas for future balding? I started to notice my hairloss at the tender age of 18. So, yes, I am really looking to get a HT at a young age but I want it to be the correct choice. I am from the Atlanta area so if anybody knows any docs around there that I could call/meet with I would appreciate it. Ok, here come some of my questions.

How long after the HT does the redness/swelling go down?

If you dont shave your head for the HT, can your existing hair somewhat cover up the area?

I have many more questions but I will leave it at this for now. Thanks in advance.

Youngbuck

I've been doing some research for a little while now and came across this site. First off, let me start by saying I am only 23 yrs old and have read some posts about being too young for HT's. I dont know what class I would be in (norwood 2,3,4) because I honestly dont know what the hell that means!

I guess my question is, if I'm already thin as hay on top and have the classic receding hairline can it get any worse?!?! A few more years and I'll be a cueball! Can HT docs place grafts in areas for future balding? I started to notice my hairloss at the tender age of 18. So, yes, I am really looking to get a HT at a young age but I want it to be the correct choice. I am from the Atlanta area so if anybody knows any docs around there that I could call/meet with I would appreciate it. Ok, here come some of my questions.

How long after the HT does the redness/swelling go down?

If you dont shave your head for the HT, can your existing hair somewhat cover up the area?

I have many more questions but I will leave it at this for now. Thanks in advance.

Youngbuck

I would take Arfy's wise words to heart. I can back that up by saying I am 28 years old now. My hair started falling out around age 23, and my hairloss has been minor, but like any other guy...I wanted to fix it. SO instead of thinking through the situation or doing research, I went straight to the most advertised place at that time...Bosley. I was never informed about Propecia or really anything. I went under the knife and they did a very average job. After that disappointment, I did a lot of research on my own, and I discovered Propecia. I have been using for quite some time now, and it has benefited me. AFter seeing the effects of PRopecia, I went to Dr. Roy Jones of NHI, and he did a fantastic job. Sorry for brief rambling as I am at work, but my advice to you would to definitely get on Propecia right away, and see what effect that has on you in the next 6-12 months before deciding on a hair transplant. Also, remember that a hair transplant leaves a scar and so forth, and you won't ever achieve the density you had when you were 18. I don't want to sound negative, but at the same time, I want to make sure you keep expectations realistic. Cheers.

youngbuck:

Do some research on FUE - it leaves minimal donor scar, and is currently the most advanced version of HT available commercially. It will also cost you a lot of money - but price should be the least important factor in picking a doctor. At the same time - if your family history predicts you will end up high in NW scale - make sure you'll have enough donor hair and cash to keep up with the loss.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks for the info and advice. I took a look at the Norwood Scale and I would classify myself as a III with little loss in the vertex. Its only going to get worse so I want to learn as much as possible about my options. Another question I had was about how many HT's are necessary. When you get on HT does that set you for good? Are you repeating this process every 1, 2, 3 years? I have read where many HT patients are talking about the 2nd and 3rd HT. Just curious. Also, do all doctors use FUs? Follicular units, I have read to be the best. Thanks in advance....again..

Youngbuck

The hair that is transplanted is genetically programmed not to fall out (if you take a look at most bald guys, they all have hair in the back and usually on the sides too). That's why hair is harvested from those areas - they won't fall out. People getting a number of HT's do it because their balding either progressed, or they want to improve density, or because not all grafts could be transplanted in one session. They don't do it because their hair from first HT fell out (again those are permanent). Not all docs use FU's so stay away from those that talk about mini-grafts. I am also 23 yrs. and looking into filling in my temples a bit. There are two problems when transplanting this young. Number one is that you have to be careful about how far you will go in NW scale - or else you may end up not having enough donor hair (or money), to keep up with the loss. Number two is make sure that what you are trying to accomplish will look good in 10, 20 years from now - i.e. don't try to lower your hairline too much. People on this website will tell you to always go conservative - and in most cases it's vaild. The only thing I don't like about most HT pictures here is the fact that the hairline is bowl shaped (or "u" shaped). It's a matter of personal prefference I guess, but I find straight (or "v" shaped), hairlines terminating at right angles much more pleasing. Again look into FUE (Follicuar Unit Extraction), as opposed to the old strip method - especially if you're like me and like your hair short.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke