Some quick questions regarding HT

Switch

Hi guys,

I have been following this community since last one yaer but never posted. I am going for an HT with Dr. AP aka Dr. A in Delhi India on 7th April. I am going in for 1500 grafts. I am originally from india only. Have few basic questions.

Q. How scary can be the scar of the stich ?

Q. I know a lot of you would argue on this but the doc originally asked me to go in with 1200 grafts but i am doing 1500 as i dont want to get another HT done. I have a diifuse all over the head and specially the front though i dont have a receding hairline but thier is a definate big hair loss in front and i cant comb back my hair. After the HT i plan to comb all my hair back and keep it that ways only. Is my decision correct cause i think a higher number of grafts in front would help me do this better?

Q. I havent got a hair cut since last one and a half month and my hair is about 4" long as of now. Should i get an hair cut before the HT or should i keep it that ways only so that after the HT people will notice less ?

Q. How long is it than one can get back to work after the HT ? I dont plan on taking any leave as i run my own store ?

Q. Can i wear a hat or a bandana just after the surgery as i can do that at my work place ?

Q. Is it difficult to sleep with the stiches on the back of your head ?

Hi guys,

I have been following this community since last one yaer but never posted. I am going for an HT with Dr. AP aka Dr. A in Delhi India on 7th April. I am going in for 1500 grafts. I am originally from india only. Have few basic questions.

Q. I know a lot of you would argue on this but the doc originally asked me to go in with 1200 grafts but i am doing 1500 as i dont want to get another HT done. I have a diifuse all over the head and specially the front though i dont have a receding hairline but thier is a definate big hair loss in front and i cant comb back my hair. After the HT i plan to comb all my hair back and keep it that ways only. Is my decision correct cause i think a higher number of grafts in front would help me do this better?

Q. I havent got a hair cut since last one and a half month and my hair is about 4" long as of now. Should i get an hair cut before the HT or should i keep it that ways only so that after the HT people will notice less ?

Q. How long is it than one can get back to work after the HT ? I dont plan on taking any leave as i run my own store ?

Q. Can i wear a hat or a bandana just after the surgery as i can do that at my work place ?

Hello Switch-

The first question is a hoot. Don't have an answer for you. But if you keep your hair at 4 inches you should be ok.

Don't know much about Dr A however his prices are keen. If you are a diffuse thinner then 1500 may cause more damage than help. 15 % + may never grow and shockloss may become a factor for you also so at the end of the day net loss could be a reality. A diffuse thinner should be looking at a minimum 4 k+ grafts.

Had I been a diffuse thinner I'd still focus on building a decent hairline. The guys that go bald in the front are almost at an advantage because they know this. Diffuse thinning must be really tough mind wise.

With regard to haircut I'd imagine a diffuse thinner would look much better with a buzz cut instead of longer. It may be a look you enjoy, especially if your skin is tan.

With regard to returning to work, if you can wear a hat, then the answer is 7 days if the swelling is a factor, otherwise once the post procedure care ends.

Originally posted by Switch:

Hi guys,

Switch,

Welcome to the forums and good luck with your upcoming procedure with Dr. A.

1) I think what you are asking in your first question is, basically, does the stitching in the donor area hurt? It can be sore for a few days and even up to the time the stitches come out. This is very welcome as they feel very good when taken out two weeks post-op, however it is really not all that bothersome of an experience to have them in. The thing to remember about the stitches is to keep them clean. I thoroughly believe that this is crucial to effective healing. The way that I accomplished this is to soak the stitches in a warm bath and massage them for about 10 minutes a night with shampoo.

2) Diffuse thinning is really a Dr.'s best opinion kind of thing. Without pictures of your situation I won't even speculate on what would be best for you. Make sure that you have explained your goals to your physician as much as possible. I believe that Dr. A will listen and accomodate your wishes as closely as can be done.

3) I would call ahead and ask Dr. A what he prefers to work with as far as hair length goes. I agree with JacobS in that diffuse thinners usually enjoy a shorter "buzz cut" as that seems to be more complimentary.

4) If you run your own store - its your own rules, right? Throw a hat on (make sure its loose-fitting enough so grafts don't stick to it) and go back when you feel ready. Watch the heavy lifting for a while though - don't want to stretch that donor scar.

5) See #4. A neat trick that the physician that performed my hair transplant taught me (Dr. Jerry Cooley) is to wet a strip of Saran Wrap with water and cover the recipient area with this. Then apply the cap or bandana. This keeps the grafts from sticking (you can pull them out if they stick). After the hat is on you can just tuck the little bit of wrap sticking out into the cap. Do this for about 10 days until the grafts are truly settled into place.

6) For the first couple of days it may seem uncomfortable. You may want to sleep on several pillows or even sleep in a comfortable chair. Ask you physician for his specific instructions and follow them to the "T".

Best of luck to you and I look forward to seeing your updates.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog