single hair FU session

If a ask a doctor a (i.e. Shapiro) to perform a session along my hairline just using FU that contain just one hair, will he do it?. Or they will strictly use 1 2 and 3 hairs. Taking into consideration that I have 1700 graphs and I have density behind just want to add naturalness to the hairline.For example one session of 500 single haired FUs.

If a ask a doctor a (i.e. Shapiro) to perform a session along my hairline just using FU that contain just one hair, will he do it?. Or they will strictly use 1 2 and 3 hairs. Taking into consideration that I have 1700 graphs and I have density behind just want to add naturalness to the hairline.For example one session of 500 single haired FUs.

WW

Your request would be a difficult order to fill using the standard strip method. To get that many grafts you would need a sizable strip. Unfortunately, only about 20% of the yeild would be single haired grafts. What would we do with the rest of the grafts?

You may want to have Follicular Unit Extraction performed (FUE) in which case I could target a much higher percentage of single hairs. Somewhere on the the order of 90%.

Aside from this, I would always recommend a generous amount of 2 hair grafts on the hairline, along with the singles. Without them, you wind up with what I call the "haze effect". That is, you see the hair, but it doesn't really provide good coverage. The look is a bit strange, especially if you don't have good hair behind it to optically back it up. I will post a thread on this in the future.

Dr Feller

Dr.

Is it possible to have the strip method and then cut to size using a microscope. So the 500 grafs will be: one half grafs of 2 hairs and the other half grafs of 1 hair. And transplant those along the hairline for naturalness.

From a patient's point of view, I don't really think having 2-hair FUs in the hairline is a problem, as long as the hairline is properly designed. My own opinion on this subject is that the first .5cm or so should be constructed of mostly 1-hair FUs staggered in a random fashion. On close inspection with a magnifying glass I am able to see some 2-hair grafts in my hairline, and it looks fine. Seriously, I don't really think this is a problem, and there are other more important issues that you should be concentrating on.

Just my $.02, FWIW.

[This message was edited by Gary on November 24, 2002 at 09:10 PM.]

[This message was edited by Gary on November 24, 2002 at 09:12 PM.]

WW

Thought you might like to see a picture of a patient I did in 1994 who made the exact same request you did. Notice the poor yield and the "haze" effect. Fewer than half grew. It was the dismal results of this guy that made me really want to find the problem. It didn't take much for me to realize that breaking up follicular families was a mistake, even though EVERYONE was doing it. I never did another micro/mini case since this guy. Since then I always kept the follicular families together... Now they are called follicular units

Dr. Feller

micro.jpg

Just my 2 cents on that:

I had a little over 2300 grafts done (Shapiro), and by far the vast majority of those FU's were 2's and 3's.

How is it, do you think, that the number of GRAFTS I recieved amounted to between 5 to 6 THOUSAND?

By dint of Dr Shapiro skilled technicians divying them up under their high powered microscopes - that's how!

I got TONS of single hair grafts in my HT from - mostly double - FU's getting split under the microscopes precisely for that reason...

They crammed a huge amount of singles along the hairline (going well back), and increasingly peppered the crown with 2's and 3's.

Unless Dr Shapiro is planting a bunch of duds in my head, which I really don't think is the case an I've been watching all of them grow a couple millimeters since the HT 2 weeks ago (if not go into their resting phase soon after), I really don't think your desire is unrealistic by any means.

I didn't even ASK for that, it was just his way...

Harrylemon,

Thanks for your contribution. I am a bit confused, however. You said that you had a little over 2300 grafts in the first paragraph, and then had 5-6 thousand GRAFTS, in the second. Did you mean HAIRS?

Also, I doubt that of all the doctors out there Dr Shapiro is cutting 2 hair follicular grafts down to single hair grafts. This clearly is NOT follicular Unit transplantation. The power of his microscopes is a non-sequitar in this issue. You probably have a minimum of 20% naturally occuring single hair FUs in your donor and that is where i suspect those one hair sprouts originated. If Dr. S is cutting down FUs to micrografts that is a revelation for this board.

Dr. Feller

Yes, you're right, I meant to say that out of 2300+ FU's, I received a good deal over 5300 grafts.

That figure was called out well before the end of their dissections, so the final tally was something quite above that figure.

I was advised that the typical sliver yielded approximately 8 hairs, whereas mine, due to my density, yielded an average of 18.

It was made clear to me during the procedure that, since the VAST majority of my FU's were 2's, and then 3's, a large amount of 1's were dissected out of those groupings. When I say large, I mean literally hundreds upon hundreds (I remember the requests he kept making for "another batch of 200 singles cut from the 2's).

If by 'revelation' you mean anything other than what he himself depicts as being necessary by his own papers' decree, for they stipulate the necessity - at times - of doing precisely such paring down, then I'm afraid it is I that am somewhat confused...

In a case such as yours where there may be an insufficent number of one haired grafts the cutting down of multi hair grafts to single hair grafts becomes a necessity. To date I have had one patient out of over 2000 where I have found this to be the case.

Understand that of all the subjective opinions in HTs, the ROUTINE breaking up of follicular families is an issue that is no longer debated.

Dr. Feller

Good point - you know, I believe that the 5300-odd number that was counted out was a HAIR-COUNT in actuality, so I believe the actual GRAFTS I recieved were more likely something less than that, but in the order of at least several hundred more than 2300+, due to all the splicing...

Sorry for the confusion there! :-)

My Lemon is Hairy now!!!