Lots of questions

I am 28 years old and doing research for my first hair transplant. According to Dr. William Hagen in Kansas City, I am classified as a 4A . He thought I would need a minimum of 2200 grafts. I am not interested in going to this doctor (Bosley). So I am looking for other doctors in the midwest that are Coalition surgeons. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My main concern is the scar. I wear my hair short in back, using a #1 guard. I realize I will have to grow it out a bit more, but will I be okay with a #2 guard? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Secondly,the Bosley "counselor" I met with said if I had the procedure on a Thursday, I would be able to return to work with no problem the following Monday. Is this really true?? Will I truly have no signs of the procedure whatsoever that coworkers wouldn't be able to notice? I work in a suit & tie environment and am unable to wear a hat to work. I have very pale and sensitive skin, and light-medium brown colored hair.

Third, in reading through the message boards, I am noticing a great deal of posters who have had multiple procedures done. How likely is it that I will have to do a repeat procedure? Do the surgeons offer any monetary 'discount' for repeat procedures? (Note: I am not letting cost effect my decision. I would however, like to find a surgeon within close proximity so I don't have to leave my wife and young kids for a long period of time, but if necessary, I will travel to either coast). My only concern with travelling is the removal of the stitches. My wife would not be comfortable removing them for me, nor do I think I could do it myself.

Thank you for reading through my concerns. I am grateful to have found this board.

As you can see from the awkwardly cropped photo (courtesy of my wife), I need to do something soon!

topofhead.jpg [/img]

I am 28 years old and doing research for my first hair transplant. According to Dr. William Hagen in Kansas City, I am classified as a 4A . He thought I would need a minimum of 2200 grafts. I am not interested in going to this doctor (Bosley). So I am looking for other doctors in the midwest that are Coalition surgeons. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

My main concern is the scar. I wear my hair short in back, using a #1 guard. I realize I will have to grow it out a bit more, but will I be okay with a #2 guard? Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Secondly,the Bosley "counselor" I met with said if I had the procedure on a Thursday, I would be able to return to work with no problem the following Monday. Is this really true?? Will I truly have no signs of the procedure whatsoever that coworkers wouldn't be able to notice? I work in a suit & tie environment and am unable to wear a hat to work. I have very pale and sensitive skin, and light-medium brown colored hair.

Third, in reading through the message boards, I am noticing a great deal of posters who have had multiple procedures done. How likely is it that I will have to do a repeat procedure? Do the surgeons offer any monetary 'discount' for repeat procedures? (Note: I am not letting cost effect my decision. I would however, like to find a surgeon within close proximity so I don't have to leave my wife and young kids for a long period of time, but if necessary, I will travel to either coast). My only concern with travelling is the removal of the stitches. My wife would not be comfortable removing them for me, nor do I think I could do it myself.

Thank you for reading through my concerns. I am grateful to have found this board.

As you can see from the awkwardly cropped photo (courtesy of my wife), I need to do something soon!

topofhead.jpg [/img]

Kansas- Welcome! (your pic is not working for me)

You came to the right site and not wanting to go to Boseley is the first and best choice you will make in regards to the HT journey.

Start by doing a ton of research. This forum has a list of coalition doctors to choose from from all over the country and Canada (there are others outside North America, but you have plenty of choices here). Talk to people, ask questions, look at pics, send pics to docs of your choice, and speak to doctors for consults by phone or in person if you prefer.

Your first question regarding the scar, which is a concern many peoole have, depends on a number of factors: including how you heal, the density of the back of your hair, and the contrast between your skin and hair color among other things. So, some people can shave down to a #2, while others a #3 or #4 hides it better. My goal is also a #2. If you check out H&W's website, they have a patient that shaved down to a #1 and it is almost undetectable. So, it is possible

About returning to work and the HT being noticeable after four days or so...it will be noticeable and usually swelling is still prevalent until about day five or six. Again, everyones physiology is different, so you may be able to return at a earlier date, probably not four or five days though. Most clinics recommend taking off two weeks for the scabs to come off and the redness in the recipient area to diminish. And with pale skin, the redness or pinkness will be noticeable in the recipient site (and some docs shave the recipient area). If you could get away with a hat, you would be fine, but I realize you cannot. You will want to take two weeks off.

My goal was for one procedure, what I call a standalone procedure. So, if I decide not to go back in for a second procedure I could get away with the naturalness of the first procedure--that is my goal. Being realistic, this is a journey and many do go back in for a second to add density, lower hairline, fill in the crown, or add temple work (which I may too, just not any day soon). It is ultimately something that needs to be discussed with your doctor, setting your goals and expectations. Also, full results with your new hair take about a year.

You won't have to be gone for more than a couple of days for a hair transplant. Typically, you go the day before the procedure for your pre-op consultation or you can have it the morning of. The next or same (if the pre-op is in the morning) day is the procedure, the final day is post-op consult with the doc and then you go home. Pretty quick.

Suture removal can be done by a nurse, walk-in clinic, your doctor, a plastic surgeon. Mine was done by a coalition doctor here in Illinois, even though my procedure was in Canada.

Again, research, ask questions, talk/meet with patients, view pictures/videos, send pics via online consults and set up phone consults with those docs...take your time and make a decision that works best for you.

fingers tired, going to bed. any more questions?

Eman

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I haven't heard of any doctor's that offer a 'discount' if you elect to have more HTs done over time. The success of your hair transplant is subjective in the sense that it's impossible to predict just how much hair it will take to keep a person happy.

It seems to me that most HT patients have at least some touch up work done over time, if not another full HT session (I've had four in 15 yrs). Again, all that will depend on what makes you happy, so I don't see why any given doctor should offer a discount for that.