Proscar / Propecia Clarification

Hi guys,

I'm about to go and see my doctor tomorrow about using Proscar / Propecia but I just wanted to clariy something to make sure I have it right:

Proscar is a finasteride tablet prescribed to treat enlarged prostate glands? and...

Propecia is the brand name for the finasteride tablets pescribed to treat hair loss?

Is Propecia the best known / trusted brand? I was also wondering if it's available world wide, as I'm in Australia. And lastly, any idea on how to actually pronounce 'Propecia'?

Thanks a lot!

Hi guys,

I'm about to go and see my doctor tomorrow about using Proscar / Propecia but I just wanted to clariy something to make sure I have it right:

Proscar is a finasteride tablet prescribed to treat enlarged prostate glands? and...

Propecia is the brand name for the finasteride tablets pescribed to treat hair loss?

Is Propecia the best known / trusted brand? I was also wondering if it's available world wide, as I'm in Australia. And lastly, any idea on how to actually pronounce 'Propecia'?

Thanks a lot!

You are correct in you description of proscar and propecia. Proscar comes in 5mg pills and Propecia comes in 1mg pills. Some people, myself included, are cutting the Proscar pills in to 4 pieces and taking one piece a day. It's much cheaper that way.

I haven't heard of any other brands available.

Pro - pronounced as in 'pro' sports player.

pe - pronounced same as a 'pea' you eat.

cia - pronounced 'sheeah'

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I agree with Gorpy. Merck manufactures both brands of Finasteride. Proscar is 5 mg and Propecia is 1 mg. I think that Merck increased the price of Propecia unproportionately to the doseage decrease successfully because it is actually marketed for hair loss. Most men simply do not research the options available to save the money.

Your physician may have concerns with splitting Proscar into quarters. When they are manufactured, it is impossible for the drug to be distributed in the pill completely evenly so your day-to-day doseage when splitting will differ slightly. I have never heard of this being a problem, but physicians do have to err on the side of caution.

Good luck!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog