"Shock Fallout"

On average, when does shock occur? Does is occur with everyone? I've been taking Propecia and Rogaine post op and so far no substantial fallout after five weeks. Am I in the clear?

On average, when does shock occur? Does is occur with everyone? I've been taking Propecia and Rogaine post op and so far no substantial fallout after five weeks. Am I in the clear?

Post operative (telogen) fallout of transplanted hairs can occur anytime within 3 months of the procedure. It usually occurs in the first month. I often get a call from a patient 3-4 weeks post-op, and they tell me that the transplanted hairs have not fallen out and infact have actually grown. I tell them not to get their hopes to high, because the hairs will probably still fallout soon. Sure enough most of these patients call back after another week or two and tell me I was right. Once in a blue moon you have or hear about a patient who had no post-op fallout. As far as original hairs are concerned the time table for post operative shock fallout is about the same. I have found over the years that 1/3 of the patients have almost no post-op shock loss of original hairs, 1/3 have shock loss that is noticable only to themselves, and 1/3 have moderate post-op fallout that is quite obvious. If you are currently using Propecia and Rogain, I would continue and keep your fingers crossed for the next two months.

Good luck! Remember even if it does still happen, most shock loss is temporary.

Many posters here, including myself, have asked numerous shock loss questions as to when, where, why, etc. I'm almost 5 months post-op now and feel safe that I wont ever have original hair shock loss, but I'd sweated it for awhile.

I never saw a doctor post an answer or time frame as to when shock loss may begin/end. I noticed that you said that the 1st 3 months is when it is most likely to occur. Could you give a rough estimate as to when a person may feel "safe" that the shock loss period is over or that the potential for shock has passed?

I said that I felt I was safe already and am no longer worried about it, but I believe I'd also read other posts in the past where people had experienced shock loss past the 3 month mark.

I'm not asking the question for myself as I am no longer worried, but because sooo many pre-HT guys are usually apprehensive about potential shock loss I'd like some doctors to post with their observations regarding the matter. It's a question that will always be asked and would be helpful for all for future reference/information.

At 5 months you are safe. However, in medicine loke most other aspects of life there is no always and no nevers. I can comfortably tell you that it would be highly unlikely for you to experience shock fallout at this point.

If you have not shed by 5 weeks you are probably OK. Remember that only a minority of cases experience any clinically significant shedding of pre-existent hair. Most but not all experience shed of the transplanted hair. Hopefully you will have the best of both worlds. Remember that at 4-6 months after the transplant, the regrowth and new growth of transplanted hair is expected to create a substantially net positive effect.

Best Wishes,

BLL/jal

Dr. Limmer