hair texture change in post-op

What is the percentage of hair texture change after a procedure?(from straigth to curly or wiry)

Is this process reversible or not?

Is there any influence if the patient is taking vitamins or herbal products such as pro sante?

What is the percentage of hair texture change after a procedure?(from straigth to curly or wiry)

Is this process reversible or not?

Is there any influence if the patient is taking vitamins or herbal products such as pro sante?

I didn't think hair changes texture. If it did become curly, that would be a good thing, since you'd end up with more 'virtual' coverage for the same number of hair. I know that the hair from the back of your head tends to be darker initially, but eventually due to exposure to sun blends in with the rest.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

I have naturally straight hair, and after I've had transplants, the transplanted hair starts to grow in very wiry and crooked looking. But It straightens out over time. I'd say by 12 months post op, it looks just like the other straight hair. Hope that helped answer your question.

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

Results of my 1424 FU transplant procedure on 8/16/02 can be viewed at...

http://community.webshots.com/user/ttaco

I've heard this is not unusual. After my first surgery, the transplanted hair was quite course, kinky and dry. It softened and normalized after about 14 months. Really, just prior to my second surgery. The transplanted hair post-second-surgery was also somewhat dry and a bit course early on, but not nearly as much as the first time around. It's really a rather slight change and it's softening up already after just six months. But, it's still drier than I'd want it to be. I'm not concerned after my first experience. In time, I expect it to return to a fully normal texture.

Dr. Bernstien once said that he wasn't certain of the reason that this happens sometimes, but thought that damage to the oil producing glands surrounding the donor units might explain the dry course texture after some people's surgeries. My first surgeon did not use state of the art magnification and it's easy to imagine such damage to the oil glands. But, if this was the reason and the glands were destroyed, I don't know why, 14 months later, all of this hair softened and normalized after the first surgery. Maybe, it's just a temporary trauma effect.

Regarding micros' comment, I agree that if the hair becomes curlier, it would be a good thing. I used to have very curly hair and hoped that the transplanted hair would curl more as it grew out (I've worn my hair short for years, so I didn't know what would happen if I let it grow longer). In my case, it just seemed course and dry. As Micro pointed out, curly would be good because of the appearance of fuller coverage - I'm still hoping, but not betting on it in my particular case.

Paul

"THE ARC OF DISCOVERY IS VERY LONG, BUT IT BENDS INEXORABLY TOWARD TRUTH."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I agree that if the hair becomes curlier, it would be a good thing.

I have to disagree with this... you want your transplanted hair to match the original hair you still have.

While it is helpful to have curly hair in general, if you happen to have straight hair and your transplanted grafts stand out from the other hair on your head, that could be a potential problem.

I read about this a few years ago, and I remember that the article said that if a straight haired persons HT starts to grow in curly/wavy, it will eventually straighten. It might've been after a few haircuts. Before Bernsteins open houses became so popular, I once attended a seminar with just two other guys, and he had mentioned the possibility of initial curl, but that it would straighten eventually.

Just my 2 cents.

Manko

If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was more of a problem with the older, larger size grafts. It would make the hair kind of kinky looking. I'm not sure why.

I am 1 year after OP now and yes the hairs straighten after time. During the first +- 9 months my hair was a wavy, unlike my my untransplanted hair. Every morning I would just wet my hair and give it a quick brush to get rid of the wavy pattern. Nowadays it is back to normal and like most of us that start this adventure I am starting to think more and more about a 2nd HT to add density and start working more to the top of my head.

icon_wink.gif

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

My hair is also pin straight everywhere but my 7 month old grafts are wavvy!

If I don't use hairspray after 5 minutes of washing its very waavy!

I though it was because my hair could be waavy in the donor area but it isn't the case!