How does your scalp feel after surgery?

I am thinking of having transplantation surgery and there is one thing that keeps bothering me. I really don't like the idea of a strip of scalp being taken out of my head. I am imagining that after the surgery, my scalp is going to feel "stretched" over my head since it does actually have to stretch in order to close over where the donor strip used to be. I know that skin is stretchable but I am thinking you can still feel it if someone takes your skin and permanently stretches it tighter than it's supposed to be. So is it true that your scalp feels "stretched" after surgery and this is a constant unnatural feeling that you will always have to accept? If so, does this feeling ever go away completely?

I am thinking of having transplantation surgery and there is one thing that keeps bothering me. I really don't like the idea of a strip of scalp being taken out of my head. I am imagining that after the surgery, my scalp is going to feel "stretched" over my head since it does actually have to stretch in order to close over where the donor strip used to be. I know that skin is stretchable but I am thinking you can still feel it if someone takes your skin and permanently stretches it tighter than it's supposed to be. So is it true that your scalp feels "stretched" after surgery and this is a constant unnatural feeling that you will always have to accept? If so, does this feeling ever go away completely?

Well............it'll be numb the evening after the surgery and feel a little tight from taking out the strip then closing. In the morning, you can feel the scar area...........the transplanted area for me was fairly numb for the first few weeks, then feeling comes back. The tightness in the scalp went away within the first month or so as well.

After the first several months, you really shouldn't feel any different than before you had the HT. I've had two, and my scalp sensation and tightness feels like it did before any surgery. No big deal.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hey dude,

I had the exact same problem with someone taking parts of my very healthy body out.

However, it comes down to the fact that I didn't want to be baldicon_smile.gif AND, after my recent surgery, I feel GREAT. No pain, barely any tightness, and the scar is miniscule (ok, i have thick hair, but still...)

Use a good doc, and you honestly have nothing to worry about.